Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.exe file issue

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
andyaerial

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: .exe file issue Reply with quote

Hi guys,
This is my first post on this forum or any of it's kind, as most of the problems I've had on pc's I've managed to fix myself, however this one has me beaten. So in accordance with your rules my spec first.

Home build pc.
Windows XP SP2 (Volume Licsence Key Withdrawn [May be subject to counterfeiting])
Avira Personal Edition
Internet Explorer 8
Windows Media Player 9
Bit Lord 1.1 (This is part of the problem.)

The problem began after I downloaded what seemed to be a healthy divx movie from torrent reactor called 'The Proposal'. My first susspiscion arose when 4086 seeds where listed with 100% reveiws and health. I procedded anyway and the download appeard to be kosha. When I went to open the file I noticed that it was actually a .wmv file. This struck me as slightly odd and against all good knowledge opened th file.

Media player went through all the natural steps until it cam e to acquiring liscence. A pop up window appeared and told me that I needed to download a free liscence to watch this movie. It convinced me it was legit as it appeard to be apart of the Windows Media Player software supplied by Microsoft. The pop up window even carried the mircosoft logo.

I clicked download now and it went through what seemed to be normal installation steps for any windows components, but I noticed a word I didn't expect to see during an installation, "Deleting".

Since this process finished I can't open any .exe files, certain elements of control panel, command prompts, reg edit (unless through the task manager [file, ctrl + new]) and I can't run any setup programs. I have tried all other suggestions to fix what is suspected to be sircam worm, but nothing works, does any one know of a certasin fix?

I don't have a windows xp installation cd.

Any help would be great.
Andy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi andyaerial, welcome to the forums.

The problems that you describe are typical of those of malware introduced from trying to run downloaded software from unknown sources.

At Technical-Assistance.co.uk we do not condone illegal activity, and it seems that your actions have resulted in technical problems you cannot resolve.

I would therefore recommend that you perform a full format on your system and reinstall Windows from scratch. You mention that you have no Windows CD and suspect your CD Key to be suspended due to illegal counterfeiting. I would therefore suggest that you do the right thing and purchase a new, legal copy of Windows and install this on your system.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: