Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.exe problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jc7885

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: .exe problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Wondering if i can get some advice. Recently, i was cleaning up my system of unused software packages and for some reason i have managed to cause erors to occur. Whenever i clicked on a program to run it would have the name.exe program to start running, but it just comes up with the this shortcut is missing the correct files. I can't see how this has hapened as the software is still on my computer.

Also, on my Acer laptop, when you use the volume function you will get a green display bar occur- that has now gone!

When the computer loads up, i get the message of "an error has occured with launch manager" and i have the option to de-bug but this does nothing.

When i try to run a DVD (which worked erfectly fine before) it reads that i need the relevant software to rea the dvd. I have added nothing nor taken away anything which related to running DVD's. I know it's not the disk but i haven't got a clue how to fix all these faults.

really seeking some help here. Appreciate it if anyone can.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to know what files it says are missing. Is it the exe file, or is it other files. You say the software is still on the computer, but how do you know this? Can you locate the files on the hard drive?

Also, can you tell us what version of Windows you are using, and anything else you can tell us about the PC (is it the Acer Laptop, or is that a separate issue)?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
jc7885

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for getting back.

One of the programs, for example, when i try and start it up it reads: "the item 'illustrator.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly"

I got those messages with every application on my computer until i re-installed them. I haven't deleted the software's folders as they are still on the ad/removal programs menu. All got rid of was things that i 'rarely' used. My laptop runs on Windows XP but as i mentioned before, i didn't have a problem until i 'tidied' it up a little by getting rid of unused applications.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your Program Files directory has been moved or renamed. Browse your hard drive, and there should be a Program Files directory, within that there should be folders for all your software where the installation files are kept. If this folder has a different name, then rename it to Program Files.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jc7885

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Softstag,

i tried your advie but that didn't work. Right now, even when i try to play a DVD in media player it says im missing a dvd decoder- i didn't even know i had one!! i have things like cyberlink dvd producer and power dvd maker, but i don't know if they serve the same function as decoding. Would running a recovery CD get rid of the problem? if it is then i have another issue, i haven't got one! i don't think i burnt one when i first started using my computer!! any help??

cheers
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's difficult to tell what has happened. It sounds like the file structure or registry have become messed up. I think running the recovery disk will be your best option, however make sure you back up any data from the PC before running it.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: