Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended display monitor problems with one widescreen and on

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
misslima

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Extended display monitor problems with one widescreen and on Reply with quote

Hi - I have recently acquired a new work computer with 1 widescreen Dell monitor (Dell E228WFPc 1680 x 1050, Monitor A) and my older 4:3 monitor (E178FPc 1024 x 768, Monitor B). The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce GT 620. I cannot get them both working at the same time on an extended display.

One is plugged into (excuse my slightly less-than-technical language here!) the 'main' monitor port and one has a VGA-DVI adapter.

When either monitor A or B is plugged into the main port without the other plugged in, they work fine.

When monitor A, the widescreen, is plugged into the main port and B is plugged in via the adapter, A works perfectly and the PC detects monitor B (if I set it to extend displays, programs open in that screen but I cannot see anything - the screen is completely black).

When B is plugged into the main port and A is on the adapter, B boots up normally until the point where I would usually see my Windows log in, when it goes black and I can only see and move the cursor.

I thought it would be a case of adjusting the screen res down so that they weren't so drastically different - in fact I'm still sure that would help but I can't get the smaller monitor B to let me do so and it doesn't seem to make a difference when widescreen monitor A is plugged into the main port with B in the other?
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're on a hiding to nothing trying this
the two screens have such differing capabilities that when you have one in synch, the other is out of range
there are third party utilities around which can "force" a synch onto a monitor.....but you'll end up burning it out

You've not going to get this working unless you have two monitors with similar capabilities
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: