Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External Harddrive not being recognized. Help!!!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
DarkKnight82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: External Harddrive not being recognized. Help!!! Reply with quote

I have a serious and frustrating problem, so please HELP ME!

I have a Compaq Presario that runs Windows XP Professional. Now, I also have a Seagate Barracuda(External Harddrive). Now, when I first got the computer, it would not detect the external. Well...it kinda did, it showed USB Mass Storage Device in the Device Manager menu with a yellow question mark. Now, I took it to a friend of mine and I guess what he did was he installed a Windows 98 driver on my PC, and within a few seconds, my PC was reading, recognizing and accessing my Seagate! Now, recently, I had to have the damn thing(Seagate) serviced. The computer repair guys took the Seagate's memory card out and put it in a new casing. When they plugged it into one of their laptops at the shop, it worked just perfectly. Now, when I brought it home and plugged it into my PC, under the impression that it would read it again without incident, it's not reading it now. Instead of it saying "USB Mass Storage Device" in the Device Manager menu, it says "USB".

So, my question is: "What in the Nine Hells can I do to fix the issue!?"
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 98 drivers will not work in Windows XP - they are entirely different operating systems and drivers are never generic to both.

Try uninstalling the "USB" that the drive shows as in Device Manager, unplug the device and reconnect after a few minutes, see if it detects then.

Also, do other USB devices work correctly? Especially Flash drives and MP3 players?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
DarkKnight82

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they don't. I have a Mobiblue MP3 Player that is not recognized. I have a Digital Camera that isn't recognized. Nothing is recognized on this P.O.S. It just frustrates me that the damn computer recognized the Seagate before, and now it isn't.

Results of Your first suggestion: Now it won't show anything at all. It made no confirmation noise when I unplugged and reconnected everything. Now what?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have showing in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers? Does anything there have a red X or yellow circle next to it?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
DarkKnight82

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. They are normal. The only place where there is a yellow circle w/ an exclamation point in it, are in the "Other Devices" section.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you have in Other Devices? This is probably the hard drive, or USB controllers. Try going in to the properties and updating the drivers allowing windows to search the internet for them.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: