Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External HD problem

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
upstart7

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: External HD problem Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Western Digital Elements 500 gig, USB 2.0 external HD and I'm running Win98se. Looked up and down for the External HDD drivers but to no avail. I was lucky to stumble across this site and it looked like my problems were solved. I followed the instructions (removing all the USB drivers and unknown devices before installing nusb33e.exe) and everything went smoothly. The Universal Serial Bus Controllers in Device Manager now lists:

Generic USB Hub
Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Host Controller
USB Mass Storage Device
USB Root Hub

They're all working properly but the drive still doesn't show up My Computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard drive is probably formatted with NTFS, which cannot be read in Windows 98. Have a look at this thread for more details:
External Hard Drive Recognised but not available
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
upstart7

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
The hard drive is probably formatted with NTFS, which cannot be read in Windows 98. Have a look at this thread for more details:
External Hard Drive Recognised but not available

I ran ntfsdos and it said, "no NTFS drives recognized". As far as I can tell, the external drive isn't in NTFS format so the problem lies somewhere else..
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this drive work on an XP/Vista machine? Also, is there anything on the drive you want?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
upstart7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Does this drive work on an XP/Vista machine? Also, is there anything on the drive you want?

Haven't tried it on another machine. I was starting to run out of space on my current machine and saw a great deal on an external HD -- under 100 dollars, so I jumped at it. Nothing on it yet. Is it possible that 500 gigs is just too much for Win98se to handle?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 127.5Gb limit on hard drive size in Windows 98, however I'm not sure if this applies to USB devices, I think it may only be fixed IDE drives.

Firstly, to find out if the drive is recognised, you should check in the Disk Drives section of Device Manager to see what is there. If it is present, you should be able to use FDISK to delete the current partition and create a new one in FAT32.
upstart7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
There is a 127.5Gb limit on hard drive size in Windows 98, however I'm not sure if this applies to USB devices, I think it may only be fixed IDE drives.

Firstly, to find out if the drive is recognised, you should check in the Disk Drives section of Device Manager to see what is there. If it is present, you should be able to use FDISK to delete the current partition and create a new one in FAT32.

Hmmm. It doesn't show up in the Disk Drive section of Device Manager.

----------
UPDATE:

It's working perfectly now! I'm not exactly sure what I did -- except for removing the USB Root Hub, USB Mass Storage Device and the Intel 83271 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller then restarting the computer with the External HD still connected to the USB Port. Anyway, when Windows 98 restarted, it reloaded the drivers and properly recognized my External HD! I was then taken to the E: Drive. Went to Device Manager and WD 5000AAK External was listed in Disk Drives (Drive ESmile. Checked My Computer and there was 'Drive E:' with 465 gigs free. I've been using the external HD since then with zero problems -- I even turned the computer off for a while then turned it back on to see if it was a fluke. Thanks for all your help!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: