Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

External USB hard drive recognised but not available
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Williw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: External USB hard drive recognised but not available Reply with quote

My external USB hard drive is recognized by Windows 98SE when plugged in, but the drive is not available (i.e. in Windows Explorer).
In the device manager I can see the device driver has been loaded without a problem.
The drive itself works just fine with Windows XP and Windows 2000.

Here is what I did so far:
1. Installed the driver supplied by the hard discs vendor, reboot, plugged in the USB hard drive, it was recognized correctly as "USB to IDE" but no drive was available.
2. Deinstallation of the USB driver for the hard disc. Deinstallation of an old USB driver for a MP3 player. Installation of NUSB3.1. Plugged in the hard drive, it was recognized and the USBSTOR driver was found and associated with the drive, but still no drive is available. For the MP3 player and another Memory Stick it worked just fine and both where available as drive G (both also associated with USBSTOR).
3. Tried various combinations of uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the different devices so far with the same result: the usb hard dirive is recognized (i.e. I can remove the USB hard drive via the little arrow in the task bar) but the drive is not available.

Help would be much appreciated.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the USB Hard Drive is formatted with NTFS rather than FAT32. Unfortunately, Windows 98SE does not support NTFS as standard. Check the drive under XP/2000 to verify what the file system is. If it is NTFS then it will not work under Windows 98SE.

If it is NTFS you can repartition the drive in XP and make it FAT32, however this will loose any data that is currently on the drive. There are some workarounds to get NTFS drives to read under 98SE, however they are not ideal and I have personally never tested them.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Williw

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. The hard drive is indeed formatted with NTFS. Reformatting in FAT32 is not my preferred option though, as the drive does contain some data already.

I have tried the demo of the Paragon "Mount Everything" software, which allows me to immediately access the data stored on the USB drive. However, what I really want is to transfer data from Win98SE onto that drive and the 30 seems a bit pricy for just doing a backup once...

It seems there was a tool by Microsoft once but it's not available for download anymore.

Can you recommend another tool to write to an NTFS formatted USB hard drive using Win98SE?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to download DOS NTFS Drivers here.

If you run the program from a DOS box within Windows 98, then you should be able to read/write to NTFS partitions while the DOS box is open.

I've never tried this, so let me know how it goes, it's something I was going to play with when I get the time.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
markblu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not send all data to folder on xp machine
then format usb drive to fat32
then send all data back to usb drive

if you don't have enough space, clean it up first, don't be a packrat. just joking around! lol
whisper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help please. I have the same problem with my USB... But I've already checked that it's formatted as FAT32 and it still won't work. What can I do?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whisper wrote:
Help please. I have the same problem with my USB... But I've already checked that it's formatted as FAT32 and it still won't work. What can I do?

Can you give me a bit more info? I could do with knowing what version of Windows you are using, whether the drive appears in My Computer, and what the drive shows as in Device Manager.

Last edited by SoftStag on Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
whisper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using Windows 98SE. It doesn't appear under My Computer even though it is recognised when plugged in.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it appear as in Device Manager?
whisper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just appears as USB Disk.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, do the following to get some more info:

Arrow Click on Start, then Run
Arrow Type in command and press Enter
Arrow Type in cd %userprofile%\desktop and press Enter
Arrow Type in fdisk /status > fdisk.txt and press Enter
Arrow You should now have a file on the Desktop called fdisk.txt open this and post the contents on here.
whisper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I typed in cd %userprofile%\desktop it said invalid directory. And the fdisk.txt file was empty.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: