Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

fan noise

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: fan noise Reply with quote

I notice that my Pc fan is a little too loud, is there a program I could use to turn on the fan only when it reaches a certain temperature.

Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not something that can be controlled by software. If the fan is fairly noisy, then it probably needs to be replaced - they don't last for ever. You can get temperature controlled fans that adjust their speed according to the temperature - the slower they go the quieter they are, but have a lower cooling capacity. There are also fan controllers that will do a similar thing, only with more control.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend had a noisy fan. It turned out to be the power supply fan and had to change the power supply unit. That only cost about 20, so if it's just the fan on the case it won't cost much.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal for the fan to be spinning when the computer is in Standby?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the PC, and whether it is capable of turning off the fans. If it is, then it will normally turn the fans off when in standby.

In Hibernate, PCs always turn off the fans, the system saves data to the hard drive and shuts the entire PC down.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

by the way, What is the normal temperature of a operating CPU?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends upon the CPU you have. Many will safely work at 85C, however it is not recommended to let them get that hot as their life will be reduced. Basically, the cooler they are the longer their life expectancy.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tower temperature/ fan speed as stated in American Megatrends BIOS:
cpu temp: 53C
System temp: 49C

CPU fan speed: 4326 RPM
System fan speed: n/a

Is the temp too high? Anything abnormal about the fan speed?
In the BIOS under Advanced setup, Intel Speedstep technology is disabled. What is this about, should I enable it?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temperatures look OK. I would try to get the system temp down a bit if you can. Although this depends upon the ambient room temperature. Make sure that you have an exhaust fan on the back of the tower, and that there is reasonable ventilation to allow air in - you don't want it in a confined space so the exhaust air is recirculated back in to the tower.

Speedstep is feature on Intel mobile processors, it slows the speed of the processor down when you are running on battery to conserve energy, as this is not a laptop, this should remain disabled.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: