Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

file copying issue on vista

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
mr.az

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: file copying issue on vista Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm having a wierd problem whenever I try to copy / move / paste a file to a USB drive in vista. The file copying progress bar fills at the normal speed untill the end of the file, at which point it hangs for about 10 seconds showing 0 remaing seconds and and usualy about 10-15MB left which if nothing else is really frustrating! The file is actually written by then as it is always usable (video file, audio file, program file etc) before the progress window closes.
This wouldn't be too much of a problem except for the fact that it also happens in transferring mulitple items in one go, so the whole queue of files to be transferred is held up at the end of each individual transfer which obviously takes a lot longer. 10 seconds at the end of every file, adds up when copying large numbers of files (doing backups etc)

I'm convinced that this didn't happen when the computer was new, using the same internal raid 0 hard-disks and external drives. I have tried to locate the problem by closing any running programs, restarting, disconnecting from the internet etc but they don't appear to make much impact.

I wondered if anyone had any ideas to help with this, or if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

I am running vista home on a Dell XPS Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @2.4 GHz with 3GB of RAM if that's any use.

Any comments / advice appreciated greatly!!

Az
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you had the same problem with any other usb storage devices?
mr.az

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surreypcsupport.com wrote:
Have you had the same problem with any other usb storage devices?

I have the same issue with various USB external hard drives (I use several as I need them for work etc) erm, USB sticks, an archos video player via USB connection, same problem across all of them.
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be a problem with the USB controllers themselves. I would uninstall them from device manager and reboot. They should be detected on start up and reinstall themselves.
mr.az

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, I will do!

just before I do, if I have no idea how 'safe' this is to do. I mean, if the USB controllers aren't detected automatically on a restart what do I do? Should I make a system restore point first? and if that is a possible problem then how can i resolve it if I can't use the USB keyboard and mouse (no ps/2 connections!)

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it

Az
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always sensible to take a backup first Smile

They should detect but if not you can use device manager to detect or install the drivers manually.

No PS2 connection is a concern though. I have heard of people having issues when they have no ps2 connection. In some cases you can enable USB support in the BIOS so you can check that first.

Also, some manufacturers hide the PS2 ports away but they are if you open up the case and have a look.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: