Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

firewall 0 intrusions - slow shut down - same IP address
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: firewall 0 intrusions - slow shut down - same IP address Reply with quote

hi!
I've installed the latest version of Comodo Firewall on vista basic which connects to the internet via wireless. Is it normal for the firewall to show 0 intrusions? I've installed ZoneAlarm previously on another PC which shows thousands of intrusions everytime I go online for hours. Comodo firewall detects intrusions on another PC running XP which goes online via landline broadband. I've changed the settings to "treat svchost.exe as outgoing only' but that does not make a difference.

On the same vista machine, when clicking "shutdown", the computer seems unresponsive (the hard disk light's not blinking) and it only begin to shuts down after several clicks. This does not happen previously. Anything I can do about it?

I'm using wireless to get online. What does it mean "there's a computer on the network with the same IP address". I'm not able to connect whenever this dialog box appears.

Thanks.
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using wireless, chances are that there will be NAT in the line, which means that your laptop doesn't get an external address, rather an private address and then go through a router which has the external address. This means that any intrusions or scans will hit the router and not your PC.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

putting the system to hibernate seems responsive, unlike shutdown and restart
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: firewall 0 intrusions - slow shut down - same IP address Reply with quote

I think I've got the firewall problem sorted out.
Could you advise me on the other two problems.
Thanks.

avextraxjp wrote:

On the same vista machine, when clicking "shutdown", the computer seems unresponsive (the hard disk light's not blinking) and it only begin to shuts down after several clicks. This does not happen previously. Anything I can do about it?

I'm using wireless to get online. What does it mean "there's a computer on the network with the same IP address". I'm not able to connect whenever this dialog box appears.

Thanks.

SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say that Vista appears unresponsive, yet you are able to click several times. What isn't working to make it appear unresponsive, or is it just taking it's time?

Every computer on a network has to have a unique address - IP address - this address allows packets of data to know where to go. If you are getting the message saying there is another computer on the network with the same IP address, then this computer and another computer/device attached to your router has the same IP address assigned to it. This will not work, so it prevents access. To prevent this you should get your router to dynamically assign IP addresses (DHCP) and set all devices that attach to the router to acquire IP addresses automatically (do not manually set them).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I click shutdown once only, it will be about 30 seconds before the PC attempts to shut down, before that, there is no "shutting down activity". Same with restart
this doesn't affect hibernate, though.
anything I can do about it? Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is probably trying to close a driver or service that is not responding. Make sure your drivers are up to date, that may help. It is possible to reduce the time it waits for unresponsive services to close, but this isn't really recommended.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows is up to date. How do I update drivers?
There can't possibly be an unresponsive service every time I shutdown/restart can it?

Should I use System restore?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

System restore may help. You can use Windows Update to update some drivers, alternatively check out the Acer support site for any updated drivers for your laptop.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does system restore create files that take up a lot of hard disk space?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having System Restore enabled uses up space, restoring to a previous date does not really use any.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I increase the quota size for System restore?
I wish to revert to settings that are a month old, but only those from two weeks ago are available
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: