Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fixed problem with 2nd-hand Acer, got new battery and...

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Fixed problem with 2nd-hand Acer, got new battery and... Reply with quote

...it doesn't work!

This is the 2nd time I've had to post this - got logged out just before I submitted it 1st time!

Original problem:

http://forum.technical-assistance.co.uk/awkward-problem-restarting-laptop-due-to-infinite-loop-vt843.html

Last poster said replace CMOS battery, I thought I'd need master battery first (original one no longer holds charge), so I bought one cheap from a website, can narrow it down to 2 but only got confirmation email from bestecpro@gmail.com:

http://www.goodbattery.co.uk/laptop-battery/acer-aspire-1300.html
http://www.mylaptopbattery.co.uk/acer-aspire-1300.htm

Now have the following problems:

* Battery doesn't seem to be able to charge: if I put it in shut-down machine and switch on mains, the light stays solid orange for a few minutes then either starts slowly flashing or turns green.
* If I try to turn the machine on with the battery in, with or without it connected to the mains, it makes the noises but doesn't load; if it is connected to mains it loads if I take battery out.
* If I load up and then put the battery in, the display says '78%, Charging' very briefly then switches to 'AC Power'; and whether or not I then disconnect mains the machine soon shuts down.
* That 78% was an improvement on 73% after being left to charge for 9 hours.

Anyone got any suggestions and/or know anything about those websites? Both claim to offer 30-day money back, 1-year warranty etc., but I didn't get any kind of receipt with the battery and it was posted from some obscure address in Hong Kong, which makes me fear the worst. Of course it's possible there's nothing wrong with the battery itself but that the machine can simply no longer run on battery, though if that's the case then the guy who sold me the computer would've known that, and one must ask what would've been in it for him suggesting I get a new battery, it's not like he'd make any money out of that, and the machine is now running absolutely fine on mains (the date & time problem aside). Indeed, I wonder if it is that silly little CMOS battery which is causing all the problems.

Many thanks in advance for any advice.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the charging circuitry in the laptop is the reason for the original and replacement battery not working correctly. This is only something that can really be sorted by an engineer, and may be expensive to resolve.

The CMOS battery is not the same as the main battery. The CMOS battery powers the CMOS, or BIOS, retaining it's settings along with the date and time, even when there is no other power to the PC. This is usually a CR2032 battery - often used in calculators and looks like a watch battery the size of a penny. To change this on the laptop, you will need to open up the casing and find the old battery and purchase a replacement.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
mshower1ng

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, softstag. I guess that means the battery itself isn't the problem, but it's still very annoying that I almost certainly won't be able to get my money back. I suppose it's possible that some of the websites selling it for twice as much operate in exactly the same way, in which case I can at least be grateful it's only 40 not 70 down the tube...
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like it's not the battery, but I suppose you could be unlucky in that the one you bought is duff, although on balance of probability I think that battery is probably fine.

Providing you have all the packaging etc. you should be able to send the battery back for a refund. Distance Selling Regulations in the UK give consumers 7 days to reject the goods they purchased where they couldn't see them first - so mail order. If the goods are as bought, they can be returned for a full refund, although you may be charged for postage. This is a legal requirement all UK based websites that provide goods must abide to. You have 7 days from purchase to inform them that you wish to reject the goods.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: