Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flash drive only works once under W98/1

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
david

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: flash drive only works once under W98/1 Reply with quote

I have a strange problem with the USB port on my toshiba satelite 2540xCDT running windows 98 first ed.

I can plug a flash-drive into the USB port and it will work first time just after boot-up, but then if I remove the flashdrive and plug it back in again it is not recognised.

However, I have noticed that, If I leave it plugged in windows will eventually "see" it.

I applied the fixes and installed the generic version of the usb driver as instructed but it is still the same.

any ideas?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is odd. Does it happen only with one flash drive, or any? Also, are there any problems showing in Device Manager?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
david

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driver manager reports:- NO PROBLEMS

the W98/1 know wait a while before recognizing the USB drive - about 3 mins(?)

I do notice that there is another problem with W98 toshiba:- I cant run any programs after a 10 mins of inactivity. I click an icon and the cursor changes to "buzy" then reverts to normal immediately afterwards.

However, the battery saving sleep modes are ALL turned off - so it shouldnt try to hininate.

I also deleted the system save file to make space - (it doesnt like this and says so at startup)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the system is clogged up more than a problem with the drivers/flash drive. I'd recommend a format and reinstall of everything as Win 98 has a habit of getting clogged up over the years and becomes almost unusable.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: