Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

flash drive problems with windows 98SE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Laynechain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: flash drive problems with windows 98SE Reply with quote

Help Please, I have 2 flash drives (1 Kingston DataTraveler DTI/4GB CN120606 5V 05381-001.A00LF AND 1 SimpleTech designed by Pininfaria 1GB
90000-60015-008U).

They both work fine on my other computers with windows ME & XP SP3 (that have 1.1 USB ports and the library has a 2.0 port).

The ones with 1.1 ports, they say the USB mass storage device is a High Speed USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-high speed port. This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a high speed USB 2.0 port.

There are no high speed USB host controlers installed on this computer.

Reccomendation: The USB mass storage device will function at reduced speed. You MUST add a high speed USB host controller to these comperters tp obtain maximum performance.
(this is a hardware issue, not a software one right?)
But, As I said they work fine though.

Now my issue is with my other Computer. I can't get them to work. It detects them, but I need a driver for the device. I found drivers for the Kingston and followed the instructions to the T and it still says unable to find the driver. I can't find one for the SimpleTech on their site.

The computer is a Dell Dimention XPS D266 PII with windows 98SE OS I'm guessing Build 4010.2222A. It has a 1.1 Port. I need to transfer some files and drivers onto this computer.One is drivers for a modem that I downloaded on another computer for this one so we can get online(dial-up). (I don't have a CD or DVD BURNER ON ANY OF MY COMPUTERS) I know it's like I'm a caveman LOL.

I have seen windows drivers for this, but there are so many I'm not sure which one to use. I've read that these drivers or wrong ones have caused some problems for some people and you can't uninstall them. So I'm reluctant to try them and cause me more problems that I already have.

Can someone please help me out and steer me in the right direction. I need to get this one going for the girls to do their research and homework. I know a little bit about what I'm doing but I'm not up to date with the newer technology I'm the geico of computers. I pieced these computers together and am stuck here. We don't have the cash to upgrade for now. I went to computer school in 1994 but didn't keep up.

I would greatly appreciate any help. sorry for the long explanation. I just thought I would give all the info I knew to help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing anything on any computer carries risk. I've known installing MS Office to kill systems, but people don't consider this to be a significant risk.

Installing the Generic USB Drivers for Windows 98, probably carries a little more risk than normal because core operating system files are changed. The reason for this is because Windows 98 simply does not support such devices.

Whether you are willing to take the risk really is your choice. Personally, I have installed the drivers on about 20 systems without problem. The drivers are downloaded several hundred times per day from this site, I don't know how many of those people go on to install them, but very few have problems.

If you have the Windows 98 CD, then you can always reinstall Windows without losing any data if things do go wrong. If you install the drivers make sure you install the correct language version.

If you don't want to go ahead and install the drivers, consider other options for moving the files - floppy disk (you can compress files and get them to span over several disks if necessary), if the system has a network card you can transfer between this and another computer with a network card, transfer files via the internet...
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: