Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

found new hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
jmhall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: found new hardware Reply with quote

At 'start-up' I am ALWAYS informed that 'new hardware has been detected' - which is actually my already installed Brother laser printer - and asks to have the CD inserted etc. If I simply delete these requests, or go through inserting the CD etc, either way my printer works perfectly. How do I stop the computer (XP Pro) continually asking me to carry out this work?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are cancelling it, then you should get something showing a problem in Device Manager. Still with the CD in the drive, go in to Device Manager, find the problem device and select to update the driver - go through the wizard and it should install the device. If this installs correctly, then there should be nothing comes up when you start the computer.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
jmhall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Device Manager the only item with a yellow ? was under 'Other Devices / RAID controller'. I attempted to update these drivers but none could be found.
The Brother printer (although working perfectly) does not appear in the DM list.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the name of the device Windows says it is looking for when you start the computer?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jmhall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Brother HL-5130 series
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of cancelling the wizard, what happens if you go all the way through it? Have the CD in the drive when you do this, and let it search for a driver.
jmhall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done just that several times - mostly it accepts the various steps and appears to have installed the driver - however the next time I start up the computer it still asks to do it all again. I must stress that no matter whether I cancel out or go through the set up with CD, the printer itself is working perfectly.
I used to have the same problem with the computer also looking for RAID at start up, but it has stopped that now - even though there is a yellow question mark at RAID in Device Manager. Any chance the 2 problems are related?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the 2 are related as the RAID one refers to your hard disk controllers. If you know what PC/motherboard you have then we should be able to fix that to confirm they are not related.
jmhall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this be what you need?

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Process or 3500+
jmhall

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight I deleted the Brother printer in PRINTERS & FAXES in the Control Panel. I then inserted the CD and followed instructions till the driver was reinserted. On restarting the computer I still had the same problem - 'found new hardware' as before!!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmhall wrote:
Would this be what you need?

AMD Athlon (tm) 64 Process or 3500+

No, that is the processor. We need to know either the make and model of the computer or preferably the motherboard.
jmhall

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc. A8V Deluxe

I can't give you a name for the actual computer as I had it built for me 2 years ago.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: