Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk
 
Google
 
Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequent Disconnection of Internet. PING request timed out.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Author Message
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Frequent Disconnection of Internet. PING request timed out. Reply with quote

While using the internet, my internet connection disconnects abruptly. When I check the PING status in the DOS prompt, the message "PING REQUEST TIMED OUT" is replied. & thereafter I am not able to connect to Internet. I have also contacted my Internet Service Provider, & they have verified the same but the problem seems to be from my PC as when they connect their laptop with my internet connection they can easily surf.
Please suggest a solution to this as it happens mostly all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi purav82, welcome to the forums!

It would be helpful to know how you connect to the internet - Dial Up, ADSL, Cable, DIA, etc. and also what modem/router you use. Can you also let us know the operating system of your PC and how it connects to the modem/router (ethernet, wifi, etc.). Also, what ISP do you use?

Can you go to a command prompt and run:
Arrow tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Please post the results of this.
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Frequent Disconnection of Internet. PING request timed out. Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag,
Thanks for replying. The answers to your questions are as below:

1. I connect my internet through Cable. (Broadband)
2. Regarding what type of modem/router I use, actually I dont know what type it is. But I can tell u that it is an external Modem.
3. I use Windows XP professional as Operating System.

Now at present it is working properly but the problem of disconnection occurs frequently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Markb



Joined: 29 Nov 2007
Posts: 164
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you are using a cable modem not through your set-top box, how are you connecting? USB or Ethernet Cable. I would always recommend Ethernet if you are able it is more reliable. Another thing to look at would be to check the lights on the cable modem when it stops responding. There should be a light that indicates that it has a carrier signal. I believe mine flashes when it has lost this signal and is solid when all is OK, though it will depend on the model of cable modem you have.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markb wrote:
Assuming that you are using a cable modem not through your set-top box, how are you connecting? USB or Ethernet Cable. I would always recommend Ethernet if you are able it is more reliable. Another thing to look at would be to check the lights on the cable modem when it stops responding. There should be a light that indicates that it has a carrier signal. I believe mine flashes when it has lost this signal and is solid when all is OK, though it will depend on the model of cable modem you have.


Ya, I m connecting my Internet thru Ethernet Cable. The modem I use is different than yours,i.e when connected the LAN Light flickers continuously & when not connected it is off.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Hi purav82, welcome to the forums!

It would be helpful to know how you connect to the internet - Dial Up, ADSL, Cable, DIA, etc. and also what modem/router you use. Can you also let us know the operating system of your PC and how it connects to the modem/router (ethernet, wifi, etc.). Also, what ISP do you use?

Can you go to a command prompt and run:
Arrow tracert www.bbc.co.uk

Please post the results of this.


Hi SoftStag,
Thanks for replying. The answers to your questions are as below:

1. I connect my internet through Cable. (Broadband)
2. Regarding what type of modem/router I use, actually I dont know what type it is. But I can tell u that it is an external Modem.
3. I use Windows XP professional as Operating System.
4. I connect it by Ethernet Cable.


Now at present it is working properly but the problem of disconnection occurs frequently.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
surreypcsupport.com



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Posts: 127
Location: surrey

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open a browser session and type:

http://192.168.1.1 as a url and see if you can see the router's configuration page.

If that doesn't work try http://192.168.1.254

This should confirm whether or not your computer is able to see the router or not. If it cannot then try restarting the router and repeat.

If that solves the problem then that would suggest the router is hanging.

If you can see the router then open a command prompt and type

ipconfig/renew

If it is able to process the request then try accessing the internet. If not then there is some other problem but let us know how you get on first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get the disconnection, can you run the tracert I mentioned previously?

Can you give an indication of how frequently the disconnections occur, and for how long?
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
When you get the disconnection, can you run the tracert I mentioned previously?

Can you give an indication of how frequently the disconnections occur, and for how long?


No, I cannot run the tracert as you mentioned.

The disconnection occurs at random. It can occur twice in a day or it may occur after a week. There is no fixed frequency of its occurance. It sometimes happens that after the disconnection I get bored & I shut down my PC & then I restart it on the other day. Sometimes it does not get connected & sometimes it works like no disconnection had happened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surreypcsupport.com wrote:
Open a browser session and type:

http://192.168.1.1 as a url and see if you can see the router's configuration page.

If that doesn't work try http://192.168.1.254

This should confirm whether or not your computer is able to see the router or not. If it cannot then try restarting the router and repeat.

If that solves the problem then that would suggest the router is hanging.

If you can see the router then open a command prompt and type

ipconfig/renew

If it is able to process the request then try accessing the internet. If not then there is some other problem but let us know how you get on first.


Can please mention, for what url http;//192.168.1.1 & http://192.168.1.254 are? What will happen if I type the above url?
For opening a brower session did you mean i double click on the Internet Explorer?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoftStag



Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 2049
Location: UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why you can't run the tracert. It doesn't matter if the results don't show a response from www.bbc.co.uk I just need to know what the results are so I can see where the problem lies.

Also, you mention that the disconnections can be a week apart at times - I'm not sure how the ISP could prove their laptop works fine on the connection, unless they left it connected for such a period of time.

The URLs that surreypcsupport.com gave you are to try to get to the router configuration page, to prove connectivity between your PC and the router at the time of the disconnection. You should get a prompt for a username and password.

At the moment we have nothing really to go off. Things that can cause the problems you are describing are numerous, and without some results of the tests we are asking for, it is not possible to determine what might be the cause.
_________________
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
purav82



Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Posts: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
I don't understand why you can't run the tracert. It doesn't matter if the results don't show a response from www.bbc.co.uk I just need to know what the results are so I can see where the problem lies.

Also, you mention that the disconnections can be a week apart at times - I'm not sure how the ISP could prove their laptop works fine on the connection, unless they left it connected for such a period of time.

The URLs that surreypcsupport.com gave you are to try to get to the router configuration page, to prove connectivity between your PC and the router at the time of the disconnection. You should get a prompt for a username and password.

At the moment we have nothing really to go off. Things that can cause the problems you are describing are numerous, and without some results of the tests we are asking for, it is not possible to determine what might be the cause.


OK Softstag. 1st of all I wud like 2 thank u for showing Interest in my problem & replying me even after my stupid answers 2 ur questions. Well actually I dont know much ab8 computer as I m a Commerce Student.
Now, 1st thing that at present my net connection is working properly & I m also able to run the tracert that u mentioned. so now what is next to do? Please be patient & help me 2 solve my problem.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

2005 - 2017 All Rights Reserved www.technical-assistance.co.uk
Terms and Conditions