Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Games crash

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Rowan187

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Games crash Reply with quote

Hello,

I am fairly new to computing and hoping to learn as I go but I do have a current problem with my PC which I can not put my finger on and am hoping for some advise on the matter.

My PC runs rine most of the time but when I come to play games on it I get about 10mins into the game before the screen goes black with white lines running horizontaly accross it and I have to re boot.

This problem on some games can be solved by putting the graphics down to minimum but recently I installed C&C Generals which should run fine but even with the graphics on minimum my PC still crashes after about 10 mins.

The spec on my PC is
AMD Athlon Processor
3200+
2.21 GHz, 1.00GB of RAM

The graphics card is a Radeon 9800pro

Please help I am at my wits end

Thanks...............
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

The problem you describe could have one of several causes. I am assuming that you never get the same issue when you do anything but using graphics intensive programs (like games).

Firstly, try installing the latest display drivers for your card. If this doesn't work then you will need to look at the hardware, it could be that the graphics card is overheating or does not have enough power. If you are comfortable, take the side off the PC, and have a look to see if there is plenty of free space around the graphics card for air flow, and that the fan on the card is not clogged with dust. If possible see what you can do to improve air flow. Also, check the side of the power supply and let us know what the power rating is (ie. 300W).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Owen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generals is a really buggy game because EA stopped supporting it.. Happens to alot of people where it just freezes and you have to reset.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: