Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic mass storage usb drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
salartech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Generic mass storage usb drivers Reply with quote

Question I have a Windows 98 PC with USB ports and am trying to transfer data to my new PC via a USB flash memory. I downloaded your generic USB mass storage drivers (rminstall.exe) which your website quotes will run on Windows 98. However when when I run it my system reports " rminstall.exe is not a valid Win32 application". Any ideas on how I can get it to run correctly or alternatively how can I transfer stuff to my new PC in an economic manner. Crying or Very sad
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure where you are getting that driver from. The one you need is nusb24e.exe from here:
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
Mr. Green
salartech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve, Thanks - have now tried nusbe24e.exe and my Windows 98 reports " native usb disk driver for windows 98se ver 2.4 package is not compatible with the version of windows you are running" Any ideas please Crying or Very sad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These drivers will only work on Windows 98 Second Edition, if you are using the first edition of Windows 98, then it will not work. There are no drivers that will get first edition to work with flash drives (at least that I know of).

If both PCs have Ethernet cards in them, you can set up a simple network to transfer the data quickly and simply. All you would need it a crossover Ethernet cable which costs a pound or so.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty (and neither PC is a laptop), then you can physically remove the hard drive from the old PC and put it in the new one. Or remove the old hard drive and put it in an external enclosure and connect it to your new PC via the USB.

It really depends on how much data there is, what you are doing with the old PC and whether you want to utilise the old hard drive with you new PC. There are many options that can be considered. If the amount of data is not much and both PCs can connect to a broadband connection, you can even email it to yourself!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
street1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried The USB Evaluation tool?

http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans3/usbready.exe
The Forum King.
salartech

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: usb drives Reply with quote

Thanks all - the data to transfer is about 600MB - all photos. Yes I have tried the usbready tool and it states I am usb compatible but nothing actually works. My old PC does not have ethernet nor BB so it looks like I will have to downsize them all and send them to my new BB server via dial up. Thanks for the advice, Rolling Eyes
Steve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't give up so easily. Read this article on how to transfer data from an old PC to a new one:
http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/filexfer.html

All you need is a male to male parallel cable, and they only cost a fiver:
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/ProductInfo.aspx?ProductID=2159

I remember doing this years ago, it's slow, but it works. Also, make sure both PCs have a 25 pin parallel port, on most PCs they are a pink colour.
salartech

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Idea
I will try this in a week or two and let you know the result.
MACrosoftXP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Generic mass storage usb drivers Reply with quote

salartech wrote:
Question However when when I run it my system reports " rminstall.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

Usually this error indicates that the file was either not completely downloaded or that the file is corrupted. If you're on dial-up, it's almost guaranteed to be the former. I'd download it again.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: