Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic USB Mass Storage Driver

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
bill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Generic USB Mass Storage Driver Reply with quote

Hi all

I just purchased a SanDisk 1.0 GB Cruzer Micro USB Flash Drive that I was hoping to use on my Windows 98SE laptop. (IBM Thinkpad 600 with Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A)

I downloaded the USB Mass Storage Driver version 3.1 (nusb31e.exe) and when I try to execute it an error box pops up that says:

The " package is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running

Does anyone have any thoughts on what the problem might be?

Thanks

Bill
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you have the correct version of Windows. It could be possible the download is corrupt. Try downloading again and installing that.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
bill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:51 am    Post subject: Generic USB Mass Storage Driver Reply with quote

Hi Softstag

Thanks for your fast reply.
I tried downloading again and got the same error message. I also tried downloading an older version and still got the same message.

Is this file one that extracts the drivers from the itself, kinda like a zip file or something? Is it possible that I don't have whatever is required to make it extract?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it does extract from a compressed file. However it is a compressed cab file, which Windows can extract by default, there is no additional software required.

The only reason I can think that it would come with this error is that some files may be of the wrong version for some reason. You could run SFC from the command prompt to check for corrupt files.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
bill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Generic USB Mass Storage Driver Reply with quote

Hi SoftStag

Thanks for all your help. After some more research and some digging around on the SanDisk site, I found the driver that I needed. I downloaded it and insalled it and it's working fine.

Thanks again for all your help.

Bill
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.

Can you post the link to the driver on the SanDisk website? This may help other people in the future.
trese

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same problem.
ive also downloaded ur nusb31e.exe and nusb20e.exe
but this is wat all it says...
"package is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running "
i have win98 SE 4.10.2222 A
i only want to use my flash drive...
pls help... what is the proper driver shall i use?
Broyd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Thankyou! Reply with quote

Hi,

I just downloaded nusb31e.exe and ran it. It installed without a hitch and the driver works perfectly. This is the first solution to using a USB drive on a Win98SE machine that I have ever found. This driver actually works on all my USB drives, in fact, the SanDisk driver that came with one of the flash drives did not ... This driver even creates the safely remove icon in the task bar!

I just wanted to say thanks to all of you involved with this site and driver source!

BTW trese, my version of Win98SE is exactly the same as yours.

Broyd, South central British Columbia, Canada Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: