Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Generic USB Storage Driver, problem?

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
chris_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Generic USB Storage Driver, problem? Reply with quote

Hi, I just downloaded the 'Windows 98 SE Generic USB Mass Storage Device Drivers v3.1 - nusb31e.exe' http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
The install went wonderfully but the restart didnt fare as well. It seems that when I try to turn on the computer, the screen stays blank? just black, nothin. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this with that specific driver? or if anybody has any insight into what could be the potential cause of this effect and how to fix it. Also its a Compaq Armada 110 laptop.
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the nothing appears on the screen at all when you turn the PC on, then it has nothing to do with the drivers. The drivers only load after the 98 splash screen on boot up.

Can you confirm if you get this splash screen or not. If not, then do you get any sounds? For example most PCs produce a single beep a couple of seconds after being turned on (is this present, if not did you used to get it, and if it is there is it a single short beep?). Also, does the PC appear to be attempting to boot, ie. is the hard drive being read, do you get the Windows start sound?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
chris_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, well in that case im at a loss. I dont get any sounds or screens, prior to this events happening i dont recall a sound. Nothing shows up on the screen, it doesnt even look like it turns on, it doesnt light up or change shades in any way shape or form. All I can hear when i turn it on is the fan moving and a noise that i'm assuming comes from the hardrive, its not a consistent whine but sounds more like a race bike revving up on the starting grid. If there is a CD in the drive that too will start working, but nothing shows on the screen. I plugged my PC monitor into the back of the laptop to see if maybe the screen decided to be faulty but that too had no picture.
It seems strange to me that it wouldn't be the driver in some way that made this happen, as the order of events points to that, but then I'm no computer technician.
Thanks for your help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happens with the lights on the PC. Usually you have 2, a green one that is on when the PC is on, and a red one that comes on when the hard drive is being accessed. If you have the hard drive light, does it come on, does it stay on permanently, or flash for some time and go out? Also, if you press the Caps Lock key, does this cause the Caps Lock Light on the keyboard to toggle on and off?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
chris_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isnt a hardrive light that i can see, there is a power light, one for the battery, number lock, caps lock and scroll lock. When i first turn the computer on the power light comes on and stays on and the three lock lights flash briefly then go out. When I press any of the lock buttons nothing happens, the lights dont come on and the system doesnt make any beeping noises. It used to, before finishing starting up if youd press all kinds of buttons it would start making beeping sounds, but not anymore. The light on the CDROM tray flashes.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is a laptop isn't it?

Firstly, try unplugging anything you have attached - USB drive, mouse etc.
See if that works.

If not, then unplug from the power, remove the battery, leave 10mins, put battery in, plug in and try again. If this doesn't work try turning on with the battery out, but the power plugged in.
chris_b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried all that and still, nothin. Do you have any other suggestions? What do you suspect is the problem at this point?
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like it is a problem with the drivers if you don't get any display at all and the PC wont boot up. I'd try putting a Windows 98 boot disc in the floppy drive and turning the computer on. If you still don't get a display then the laptop needs to be looked at by an engineer.
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like there is a hardware problem with the laptop.

To see if it is just related to the screen, plug your monitor in to the laptop and turn them on. If there is no display, the press Fn+F3, this key combination should toggle between the laptop screen and the monitor for display. From the symptoms you are describing, I don't think this will give a display, I think there is something else wrong with the hardware that will require attention from an engineer.
chris_b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I found the problem. My sisters boyfriend tells me that sometimes on these old computer you get whats called "chip creep". I guess the ram card had moved just slightly out of place because after taking it out and putting it back in the computer booted up no problem.
Thanks for all your suggestions though, now I know where to ask next time it does something I dont want it to Wink
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that happens on occasion. Fortunately, you managed to get it sorted Very Happy

{Topic Locked}
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: