Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a new pc need help!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
daniel667

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Getting a new pc need help! Reply with quote

Hey guys! Im getting a new PC for gaming just needed help chosing one, ive got my eyes set on the following specs for 500 GBP(british pounds) around $900. Also ive already got a moniter, il be playing on a tv screen with 1080p capablity

Specs:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 32-bit - English
Display Not Included
nVidia GeForce GT220 1024MB graphics card
4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
1TB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
DVD+/-RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD)

i can also upgrade to 2.66ghz 8mb cache for 90 GBP, around $150

Thanks in advance for you help Smile

(The website for the computer
http://www1.euro.dell.com/uk/en/home/Desktops/desktop-studio-mini/pd.aspx?refid=desktop-studio-mini&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&~oid=uk~en~20211~desktop_studio_mini_d005403~~)

Heres another PC i saw for another 100GBP ($170)

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q8300 Processor (2.5GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 - English (32 BIT)
Display Not Included
512MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 Graphics card
4096MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]
1TB (7200rpm) Serial ATA/100 Hard Drive
16X DVD+/-RW (Read/Write DVD, CD)

This is XPS and built for gaming.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system you provided the link to, I would not recommend. The graphics card is apparently integrated in to the motherboard, which brings in to question whether the memory for it is dedicated fast graphics memory, or shared system memory that will eat in to the available memory and be slower. Also, the PSU at 350W is probably barely sufficient to run such a system under load - this a common gripe with large manufacturers of PCs, they cut corners to save costs that make the systems appear to be better than they really are.

The second system looks better and probably worth the extra spend, although again not sure about the graphics card as to whether separate or integrated. This time a 375W PSU - better but not ideal for the system spec.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Dell - unless you go for the Alienware range...

What would I recommend? Well, these days there aren't many manufacturers to choose from. I would build my own from components to get the spec I wanted, if your not confident to do this, check out local computer stores to see if they can give you a quote on a gaming system. Look for a dedicated graphics card, do some research on what is good. A good CPU (along the lines of the Dells you are looking at), 3-4Gb of RAM, and a good quality PSU. Also find out what level of support they can offer you (probably much better than Dell).

Hope this helps.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: