Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graphics card/drivers

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Dickiem

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Graphics card/drivers Reply with quote

Hi, new to the forum and hope someone can give me some advice.

My son has installed 'Crane simulator 2009' but apparently the graphics card isn't up to the job of running it...its a VIA/S3G Unichrome Pro IGP.

It suggests downloading the latest drivers but I'm not sure where to get them or whether that would actually solve the problem. I'm guessing I need to upgrade the graphics card itself but have no idea what to get, where from or how much to spend...any advice please?
JonS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

download site for VIA drivers is at http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp

however I doubt if it will solve your problem. S3 graphics are not intended for gaming. Really meant for typewriting and DVD playback, and not a lot else.

Looking at the website for that game, these are the min specs listed

Minimum System Requirements
Windows Vista/XP 512 MB RAM
AMD Athlon 2.4 GHz or faster
600 MB Hard Disk Space
Graphics Card: Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB

As to what card to put in it? Well, Radeon 9800 Pro is six or seven years old as a design, so IF that minimum spec is right then almost any current graphics Radeon or nVidia card with more than 128MB RAM will do. However I'm guessing your PC has an old AGP gaphics card slot, not a modern PCI-X one. Few AGP cards are made now - its a case of whatever you can find at the local shop or online store

PS - the spec came from this page http://www.excalibur-publishing.co.uk/crane.htm
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't sure of the specs of your system or need help in choosing a compatible upgrade, it would help if you can post the make and model of the PC.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: