Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

> Windows Tips & Tricks

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Tutorials
Bugsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: > Windows Tips & Tricks Reply with quote

(Always backup your registry when performing these sorts of tasks)

Menu Show Delay to slow for you. then why not speed it up??

(This Works On XP - Vista - Windows 7)

1. Open the Start Menu - then type regedit in the search box and press Enter.

2. In regedit, navigate to - HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\desktop

3. In the right pane, right click on MenuShowDelay and click on Modify.

4. Type in a number between 0 to 4000 - for how many milliseconds you want the Menu to wait before it opens, the lower the number, the faster the response time. It is not recommended you use 0 as it will be difficult to navigate through at that speed, So use 1

5. Click on OK to apply.

6. Close regedit.

7. Then all you do is restart the computer to apply these changes.

Now you will see a big difference!

Hope you found this useful!
Bugsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: > pin drive icons on the taskbar, windows 7 Reply with quote

(For Windows 7)

The taskbar isn't just for apps and documents With just a few seconds work you can pin drive icons on the taskbar too.

Right click an empty part of the desktop select New - Text File - and rename the file to drive.exe. Drag and drop this onto your taskbar, then delete the original file.

Right-click your new "drive.exe" taskbar button, then right-click its file name and select Properties. Change the contents of both the Target and Start In boxes to point at the drive or folder of your choice, and click Change Icon to choose an appropriate drive icon, and you're done - that drive or folder is now available at a click.
Bugsy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still with Windows XP When performing a re install does it feel like it takes forever? well here is a fast way to install windows xp this will save you upto 15 minutes, The reason i posted this is because last night my brother called me moaning and groaning about re installing XP i suggested he upgraded to windows 7 and it was about time he moved with the times, well, i wish i hadn't!

anyway, i was searching this forum and other places for a solution, sadly i didn't find the solution here, but if it was here hiding somewhere... I apologize for this post, anyway i found it and it worked just fine, as it goes;

1. Boot through Windows XP CD.

2. After all the files are completely loaded, you get the option to select the partition. Select “c”.

3. Now Format the partition, whether it is normal or quick with NTFS or FAT

4. Once the formatting is completed, All the setup files required for installation are copied. Restart your system by pressing Enter.
Now, here begins the Simple trick to save 10-15 minutes.

5. After rebooting, you get a screen where it takes 40 minutes to complete or finalize the OS installation.

6. Now, Press SHIFT + F10 Key - This opens command prompt.

7. Enter “Taskmgr” at the command prompt window. This will open Task Manager.

8. Click the Process Tab, here we find a process called Setup.exe - Right Click on Setup.exe - Set Priority - Select High or Above Normal. Initially it will be Normal.
Thats it, no more work to do. Relax your self and see how fast the installation process completes

Now i didn't know this until i found THIS but many of would have known how to do this and many would have not, so here you go.

Hope you found this useful!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Tutorials All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: