Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hal.dll error message on Windows XP Professional (Dell D620)

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Karen88

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: hal.dll error message on Windows XP Professional (Dell D620) Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Dell D620 Latitude old laptop with Windows XP Professional on it. It crashed and has an error message:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll

It won't run in safe mode etc. I don't have install CDs etc for XP. I don't know much about computers but I'm keen to try to fix this myself - the laptop is worth very little. The old laptop I'm using in the meantime has other problems, including a faulty DVD/CD thing (and faulty screen + USB ports).

The D620 laptop crashed when I... (embarrassed to say this...) told SlimDriver software programme to restore all drivers on my laptop (I don't recall it warning me that this would be foolish). I had actually just wanted it to restore one driver to its previous setting as I thought the updated one (just a mouse driver) was working less well than before it was updated, but couldn't figure out how to get it to do that....

What are my options for getting my laptop to go again?
Do I need to buy an XP install/repair CD (where from?)? Would the "Ultimate Boot CD" fix this problem? I also came across a dll download tool at http://www.dlltool.com/productinfo/, but don't see how that could help given I can't download onto the laptop that doesn't go.

I would be very grateful for any assistance fixing this - could any instructions be as precise and simple as possible Smile

Many thanks
Karen
p.s. I'm in NZ
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foolish?
Using a tool like "slimdrivers" is totally foolhardy. The drivers needed are all available for download from Dell and thats where you should have got them from... Don't mess around with third party junkware.

with a hal.dll error your chances of fixing it are close to nil. The hardware abstraction layer is scuppered. If you had a VistaPE disk you may be able to fix it with a manual restoration of the registry, but probably not.
Really, you need to rebuild the machine. Either from a Windows CD followed by a driver download and install or - if the machine still has the original unformatted hard drive - from the hidden recovery image.
Google for Dell WinXP recovery image
Karen88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I now have Win XP Professional install disks but have been unable to boot from them even after putting DVD drive at top of BIOS list.

If it's necessary to start over and lose my data, what do I need to do now? I just keep getting the hal.dll error message.

Any constructive suggestions are very welcome indeed!

best wishes
Karen
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worrying that you can't boot from the disks

are they genuine microsoft disks? How are they labelled?

any chance your CD/DVD drive is faulty?
Karen88

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
It's booted from the disks now and all going again, very pleased and amazed (repaired boot.ini in the recovery console as it couldn't locate the hal.dl file from the disk for some reason).

So I haven't lost anything and will do a back up. But the first time I got it going it crashed again after 40 minutes, so I still need to get to the bottom of what's wrong.

The blue screen error was:
win32k.sys- Address BF8C3588 base at BF800000
Datestamp 52lea476

I ran WhoCrashed and it came back with this:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini112813-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: win32k.sys
(win32k+0xC3588)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005,
0xFFFFFFFFBF8C3588, 0xFFFFFFFFA8B80AD4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\win32k.sys
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Multi-User Win32 Driver

What I do about it I have no idea. I had a look on the Dell website as you suggested, for driver updates, but it's unable to analyse my system so I don't know which updates might be relevant.

Any pointers very welcome - and thank you very much for your interest.

best wishes
Karen
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard to be sure
memory error, but it could be triggered by the CPU overheating
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: