Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hard Disk Defragmenting

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
toveyj

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Hard Disk Defragmenting Reply with quote

Hi

I have an XP PC which has been running really slowly. I had the same problem a few months ago and ended up using the restore disk from the vendor to set it back to factory condition. It was great for a while but th eproblems are now coming back. I have a few free tools to tackle the common problems like registry errors and have F-Secure software which is supposed to sort out spyware and viruses.

My query is, as part of the sequence of obvious things to do i have been trying to defragment my 120GB hard drive. It has been running continuosly for 2 days and has so far got to 70%..! My disk is only 40% full. I did run a disk check first to see if there were any errors on the disk but it came up clean. I have also shut everything else off so only the defrag is running. I had exactly this experience last time before giving up and "resetting" the machine. i thought maybe the drive was faulty, but after resetting the machine was flying so I don't think it can be a hardware fault.

Any thoughts on why it would take so long to defrag a disk which isn't that big and is more than half empty?

Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like there is a small portion of your hard drive that is physically faulty. Under normal operation you may not notice this, however if Disk Defragmenter is using that part of the drive and can't read/write, it is causing it to wait for the action to complete. I would run the chkdsk with the following parameters:
Arrow chkdsk c: /r

This will try to locate bad sectors and recover readable information.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: