Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
glock001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Im baffled and i hope that you can help, it seems that all of a sudden when i plug into my USB 2.0 port my MP3 player. The screen goes blank and my windows xp boots back up again,if i leave it plugged in when booting back up it freezes in booting back up and wont continue till ive unplugged the player. Now when i plug in a 2.0 memory stick or any other USB device it works perfectly. Ive tried all the ports and the same thing happens, ive even tried another MP3 player and the same thing happens. Ive all the latest windows updates and even tried re-installing windows but the problems keeps on creeping back, sometimes it stays on for a minute or so or sometimes it just restarts right away.
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mad Mad Mad
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the MP3 Player could be shorting out the USB connections. Have you tried it in another PC? I suspect it is faulty.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
glock001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i tried it in another PC and it works fine, so you think it maybe shorting out the USB? JUst weird that it would do it to all four of them and tried it with another player with different cable and it does the same thing.If that is the case what would be my options in fixing the problem?
Thanks
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only guessing that it may be shorting out the USB, I can't see a good reason why it would restart the computer. Do you have any other USB devices connected when you try this? It could be a power issues, have you tried it connected via a powered USB hub?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
glock001

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a usb mouse connected to the pc, no havent tried using a powered hub maybe thats my next option.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it without the mouse connected first, see if that helps.

What version of Windows are you using?
Also, when you connect it and the PC and it restarts, do you get a momentary blue screen before the restart?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: