Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! 1. System freeze and 2. Can't change startup programs

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
awaggawagga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Help! 1. System freeze and 2. Can't change startup programs Reply with quote

I have two problems. Can anyone help?

1. My laptop had developed an irritating habit of freezing sometimes up to twice a day. A system recovery seemed to do the trick and my laptop was working back to normal. However, just recently the machine has began to freeze again with similar frequency to how it behaved prior to the system restore. Does this rule out the possibility it is software related and, if so, what can I do next? I have all the latest and up-to-date anti-virus/spyware installed with regular scans showing nothing (programs such as Zone Alarm, SpywareDoctor, Ad-aware, Spybot) and I use registry cleaning programs such as Eusing, Ccleaner and System cleaner 5 regularly to keep it clean and unclogged. Would you advise reinstalling a totally new operating system such as Vista or another XP to try to eradicate the problem?

2. My other problem is rather peculiar. I have been trying to trim my startup programs in order to speed up the process of log-in. I don't need all of the programs in the system tray. My first try was to go into the system tray itself and click on the icons to disable but found that this was only temporary and they would load up again next time I booted. I had to go into the programs themselves and select settings or options where I could uncheck boxes saying 'load to system tray' for example. However, I found that despite unchecking these boxes they would still load up on log-in. Next up I tried using msconfig where I'd amend the startup programs but after I unchecked the programsm, checked replicas of them would appear next time I went in!! This has since occurred in Ccleaner's system startup control facility, System cleaner's startup control facility, SystemList, Autorun,Hijackthis and, most perplexingly, registry editor where I cannot delete any of the files in the registry without them still being there next time I look. What makes me a little confused is that when I used my parents machine to make changes to msconfig the changes registered and I had a message next time I booted up letting me know the changes had taken affect. Is this a problem anyone is familiar with?

Thank you for taking the time to review my techno-problems if you can offer anything on either I'd be very grateful.
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. Sounds like you've got some frustrating problems going on there!

I think it would help if you can let us know what laptop you are using, and what version of Windows. Also, you said you did a system recovery - did you mean system restore, or is this a recovery option that sets your laptop back to like when it was new? You mentioned that this fixed the freezing problem - how long for?

From what I understand about msconfig, removing the tick from startup should stop them from loading. Sounds like maybe one of the programs you are using doesn't like you doing that and puts them back!
Mr. Green
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Help! 1. System freeze and 2. Can't change startup progr Reply with quote

awaggawagga wrote:
1. My laptop had developed an irritating habit of freezing sometimes up to twice a day. A system recovery seemed to do the trick and my laptop was working back to normal. However, just recently the machine has began to freeze again with similar frequency to how it behaved prior to the system restore. Does this rule out the possibility it is software related and, if so, what can I do next? I have all the latest and up-to-date anti-virus/spyware installed with regular scans showing nothing (programs such as Zone Alarm, SpywareDoctor, Ad-aware, Spybot) and I use registry cleaning programs such as Eusing, Ccleaner and System cleaner 5 regularly to keep it clean and unclogged. Would you advise reinstalling a totally new operating system such as Vista or another XP to try to eradicate the problem?

If the system recovery fixed it for a period of time, then this suggests that the problem is software related. Personally, I don't think the registry scanners help, these could potentially be causing problems.

Reinstalling the operating system from scratch is a big step, and I would try to rule out other things first.

Does the freezing happen when you are doing anything in particular, or after a given amount of time? Also, make sure you are not blocking any vents by having the laptop on your knee or on a soft surface, like a bed.

awaggawagga wrote:
2. My other problem is rather peculiar. I have been trying to trim my startup programs in order to speed up the process of log-in. I don't need all of the programs in the system tray. My first try was to go into the system tray itself and click on the icons to disable but found that this was only temporary and they would load up again next time I booted. I had to go into the programs themselves and select settings or options where I could uncheck boxes saying 'load to system tray' for example. However, I found that despite unchecking these boxes they would still load up on log-in. Next up I tried using msconfig where I'd amend the startup programs but after I unchecked the programsm, checked replicas of them would appear next time I went in!! This has since occurred in Ccleaner's system startup control facility, System cleaner's startup control facility, SystemList, Autorun,Hijackthis and, most perplexingly, registry editor where I cannot delete any of the files in the registry without them still being there next time I look. What makes me a little confused is that when I used my parents machine to make changes to msconfig the changes registered and I had a message next time I booted up letting me know the changes had taken affect. Is this a problem anyone is familiar with?

Remove the registry checking software and try msconfig again. It sounds like the software is putting back the changes you made to the registry via msconfig.

Steve wrote:
I think it would help if you can let us know what laptop you are using, and what version of Windows. Also, you said you did a system recovery - did you mean system restore, or is this a recovery option that sets your laptop back to like when it was new? You mentioned that this fixed the freezing problem - how long for?

This information will be useful also.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
awaggawagga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys - thanks for such prompt responses

My laptop is a Acer Travelmate 4101LCi - OS Windows XP

When I said System restore, I meant the full reinstallation process with the backup CD's
Do you really think that the registry cleaning progs are causing the problems with msconfig and the rest?

Re. the freezes. Well, they don't tend to stick to any pattern whatsoever. The mouse will just stop and the system will seize up randomly. When you say that the program is software related, do you mean that it could be to do with my vers. of Windows XP?

In which case, both problems will be solved if I get my hands on another OS and reinstall (and then don't install registry cleaners)?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random freezing is one of the most difficult things to diagnose. The fact that a system reload fixed it last time, albeit for a short period of time, suggests that the hardware (the laptop itself) is fine.

If you are happy to reload your system, like last time, then go for it. A lot of people do not like doing this as it wipes everything and starts again. If you don't want to go down that route, then uninstall all the registry software, and anything else you don't really need.

If you do reload, then don't install anything afterwards. See how it is, and satisfy yourself it is working fine. After installing each program check it's not freezing before moving on to the next. Don't install the registry cleaner software, XP is fine without it.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
awaggawagga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great - ok. The system freezes have subsided recently..I'm going to see how it goes first before reinstalling windows..

I've uninstalled my 3 registry programs, Eusing, Ccleaner and System Cleaner but it doesn't seem to allow me to change the startup progs still.
Do you think it has anything to do with ZoneAlarm Security Suite ?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least things are getting better Smile

I've never come accross they symptoms you have with msconfig, this is quite strange. I don't think ZoneAlarm is causing this, sounds more like a bug with msconfig, or some malicious software causing (although unlikely given the precautions you appear to take).

Can you list for me what is in the startup tab on msconfig? This might help to find out what's going on...
MACrosoftXP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have encountered both of these issues many times in the past. The first is easily enough explained: I have found that the vast majority of "system restore disks" included with storebought PC's are, in a word, junk. These images are jammed with trialware and broken registry keys, and are as a rule unstable. I recommend getting a Microsoft copy of your Windows installation and use the key that came with your system.
The second problem that you are having is also something that I have encountered all too often. The programs that you have running are most certainly spyware. Such programs do not respond properly to MSCONFIG, and reload themselves as soon as your computer restarts via nasty little registry keys. I would reccommend running Spybot: Search and Destroy to get rid of these little buggers, and you'll be fine after that.
awaggawagga

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: me again! Reply with quote

Thanks MacrosoftXP and others for your help

I've had to system restore 2 or 3 times - this time I haven't downloaded any of the software I used to use yet although I have downloaded AVG Free Edition and Spybot to deal with threats - neither were downloaded before. Compared to how I used to use it started working like a dream but very soon after (a day or two) the freezes began again.

Perhaps, as MacrosoftXP said the only way to get rid of this is to buy a new copy of Windows XP?

Thanks again for your help
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: