Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help installing d-link modem please?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Rodley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Help installing d-link modem please? Reply with quote

Hi there
We have been running our internet on a speedtouch 330 modem (its a desktop PC) but as we are now due to get a new laptop and want both to be internet ready we bought a D-Link DIR-855 Wireless Router.
Now we have twice tried installing it to no avail.

We have uninstalled all the speedtouch things and inserted the disk that comes with the new router, it starts setting up but then asks us to insert the internet cable... when we do it we get an error code saying something like "the internet cable has not been connected properly" yet it is in the right place and is obviously working ok as it works fine with the speedtouch modem.

I was wondering if anyone could shed any light as to what the hecks going wrong?!!! Does anyone know if its a different kind of cable i need to that which i already use?! I mean the fitting is the same so i just assumed it would work?!

As you can tell.. not very technical so any advice would be appreciated.
Lisa
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa, welcome to the forums!

I just looked up the router you have bought, and it looks like a very nice bit of kit. Unfortunately, I don't think it will do what you need it to.

You mention you used a SpeedTouch 330 - this is an ADSL modem, that connects to the computer via USB.

From your post, it sounds to me like you are connecting the router to your PC via the USB socket on the back of it - I don't think this will work, this socket is intended for sharing printers etc. You need to connect to your PC via an ethernet cable from one of the group of 4 ethernet sockets on the back.

The router you have bought is an ethernet router, it does not have ADSL capabilities, so if you still have an ADSL connection, you have a problem as you can't connect the router to the phone socket. If you have a cable internet connection, then you plug the cable modem in to the single ethernet port on the back of the router, and it should work fine. Another option would be to get an ADSL modem with ethernet out on it that you can connect to this router.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Rodley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, sorry.. i should have mentioned.. i have an ethernet cable and whathaveyou.. and it is that which i am using to connect the D-link to the PC.. not the USB.. its the actual internet cable that goes from the socket on the wall to the back of the modem that the D-Link says is not connected properly... but when i use the same cable with the speedtouch modem it connects and works fine.

thankyou for your reply anyway, much appreciated.
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing what Softstag was saying. You use ADSL to connect to the internet. Your old setup used a speedtouch USB modem to connect to the ADSL. You are wanting to replace this with an ADSL Modem Wireless Router. You have purchased a Cable Wireless Router. The product you have bought does not have an ADSL modem built in to be able to connect you to the internet and you can't use the speedtouch with it, it is designed to be used with a cable modem or similar ethernet based internet connections. If you wish to use D-link then the DSL-2740R would be a suitable device. If you aren't fussy about manufacturer, below are some links to other suitable Wireless N routers.

ZyXEL P-660HN-F1Z

Linksys Wireless-N ADSL Router Comes with USB wireless card.

Netgear DGN2000
Rodley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks.. yes i did miunderstand.. before i saw the reply i gave in and paid the 10p per minute to talk to D-Link.. and as you rightly say.. i need a seperate ethernet based modem. Im gutted though.. i thought this had one already in built and i paid a small fortune for it (from a catalogue lol) and unfortunately my other half has kindly thrown out all the packaging (bites her tongue!!! ) so i cant send it back... oh well!!!!

Ive just rung a local computer shop and they say they can do me something for about 45... just wish i had a clue what i was doing!!!

thanks for all the help.. no doubt when i save and go buy the new thing i will be back!

lisa
Markb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may well be able to shift the other one on ebay. Feel free to come back to us if you need more help.
Rodley

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... already listed it in the sheer hope! lol thanks again to you both fo your help.
sl23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shoould still be able to return to catalogue. In my experience my catalogue - Kays [now owned by Littlewoods] were ok to accept items without packaging on occasions.

Worth a try... If not, do what I did, return it regardless. As long as you have a reciept as proof of return you're ok. I know it a bit naughty but at least saves you hassle and wasting money!
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: