Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me. Slow unresponsive pc. Vista

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Joshco

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Help me. Slow unresponsive pc. Vista Reply with quote

I recently recieved a 2nd hand pc as a gift from a friend. He must have really messed it up because it refusd to work.
So i got myself a copy of windows vista and wanted to start over so i formatted the hard drives and installed windows.
Installation worked but my pc runs incredibly slowly now. Even opening the start menu takes forever
Please help

The pc's stats are:
Processor: 2.8 gHz intel pentium 4
RAM: 1.5 gigs
Graphics card: geforce 7300 256 mb
Hard drive: primary master, 80 gig with 10 megabytes unallocated. Primary slave, 40 gig
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the specification you describe, there should be no reason why it shouldn't work with reasonable speed.

If you go to Control Panel -> Performance Information and Tools -> Update my score what is showing with the minimum score, and what is that score?

Also, do you see any problems in Device Manager?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
digishank

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Have you tried registry cleaners...? Reply with quote

i have the same kind of problem with windows XP.Have you tried with any registry cleaners...?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From private message:
Joshco wrote:
Hi there.
You replied 2 my problem a couple days ago.

These are my performance scores:
Processor(intel p4 2.8 ghz): 3.8
Memory(RAM 1.5 G): 4.2
Graphics(nvidea gforce 7300): 5.9
Gaming graphics: 4.3
Primary hard disk(samsung 80 gig) : 2.3

Are these scores n0rmal? If not how do i improve them. I have 2 use my cellphone to send this because it would take too long on the pc.
Any help is highly appreciated . Thanks

Firstly please post in the forums, I don't support via PM!

The score for the hard drive is quite low, and may be the cause of the problem. Have you installed the drivers for the IDE controller? Also, does Device Manager show any issues?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Joshco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that.

Device manager shows no problems. I am using the drivers that vista came with. Where can i get proper ones? I started with completley formatted hard drives. Does it have anything to do with FATS OR NTFS? Also the performance display on the windows side bar shows my processor at 100% percent wen opening most programs
Joshco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also , the other scores? Are they indicative of the hardware stats? Any way of improving them?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motherboard manufacturer should be able to provide you with the correct drivers for this, however if Vista shows the drivers installed without issue, then this may not be the problem. Have you tried swapping the master and slave drives round and installing Windows on the other drive? It may be that the drive is either slow or failing. The file system (FAT or NTFS) shouldn't make that much of a difference to the speed.

The other scores that are there look to be quite reasonable. You can only really improve these through hardware upgrades.

What you mentioned about the Windows Sidebar, could well be the cause of the problem - if this is taking up all the resource, then the system will be slow. I've seen this before with the sidebar, and as a result I don't use it. Try disabling this, and see how it affects the performance of the PC.
Joshco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually already have had it installed on the other hard drive and i had the same problem . Does this mean i need a new hard drive? This pc seems pretty dated. Would you say its w0rth the effort to upgrade some of the hardware? Or would it just be better to get a new pc ? Is there nothing i can do to repair my current hard drive myself?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PC spec is not so bad. It's just this issue needs to be sorted.

I never said the hard drive was faulty, from what you are telling me and the performance stats, the hard drive isn't slow enough to be causing the problems you are experiencing. Sure it's not quick, but it's not so dire.

My next port of call was to look at what processes are running, and what resources they are taking up. You already told me the sidebar was hitting 100% - that's a problem. Have you tried disabling it?
Joshco

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have disabled the side bar. The only processes that are running are the ones that windows runs automatically because there is nothing else on the computor. Wen i press ctrl+alt dlt to open the task manager the screen goes black and the c0mputer is stuck in that state thereafter
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a HijackThis log please?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me. Slow unresponsive pc. Vista Reply with quote

Joshco wrote:
I recently recieved a 2nd hand pc as a gift from a friend. He must have really messed it up because it refusd to work.
So i got myself a copy of windows vista and wanted to start over so i formatted the hard drives and installed windows.
Installation worked but my pc runs incredibly slowly now. Even opening the start menu takes forever
Please help

The pc's stats are:
Processor: 2.8 gHz intel pentium 4
RAM: 1.5 gigs
Graphics card: geforce 7300 256 mb
Hard drive: primary master, 80 gig with 10 megabytes unallocated. Primary slave, 40 gig

I would check to see that all the memory is being recognised first. Then use performance monitor to see whether it is the processor that is working flat out or whether it is running out of memory. If its using the hard disk as virtual memory a lot then that is likely to be the case.

If the memory is fine and the processor is sitting idle and it is still unresponsive then some application or system service is hanging the OS.

Try booting in safe mode which will disable all non critical OS services. If it then runs fine you know the problem is with one of those services.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: