Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help?! My screen goes black...

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
fitzpatrick1984

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Help?! My screen goes black... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have come to you as a last resort before i go completely mad and end up buying a new PC...

I recently (several weeks back) re-installed windows and installed Windows Media Centre Edition onto my computer. Since then, whenever there is what i can only assume to be 'heavy' usage graphics wise, the screen just dies and goes into power saving mode. The green light on the monitor goes to orange yet the pc is still running and i can only get the screen back by restarting the pc, or powering off...

This is not a continuous problem, i can have the pc on for hours surfing the web or chatting on MSN etc, This problem mainly occurs, when im loading a full on graphical game, or have several videos open etc ie webcam and media player. When loading the games, the screen switches off and the music gets stuck then that too dies... Restart.

I believe i have all the up to date drivers for the graphics card installed. I read on a forum through google that it could be the PSU dying and not giving out as much power to the graphics card. So i just bought a 600W PSU and installed it, switched it on, tried to load the game and low and behold the screen switched off.

I've never had this problem before, i have reinstalled windows many many times so am frustrated that i cant get this resolved. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

My PC Specs:
O/S - Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Service Pack 3
Direct X - 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
CPU Type - Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (23 x 130)
Motherboard Name - ASRock P4VT8+ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DDR DIMM, Audio, LAN)
Motherboard Chipset - VIA VT8763 Apollo PT800
System Memory - 1536 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adaptor - RADEON 9800 PRO - Secondary (128 MB)
Video Adaptor - RADEON 9800 PRO (128 MB)
3D Accelerator - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP?!?!

Thank you!
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds more like a problem with the Monitor than the PC. Do you have access to another monitor that you could test the output of the PC with?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be an overheating issue. Is there plenty of ventilation around the card inside the case?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just reading your post again. When you say the music gets stuck and then dies, are you putting the music through speakers incorporated into the monitor and it cuts out when the monitor goes off, or do you mean that the monitor goes blank then the music hangs on a note and then cuts out. If it is the latter, I would probably site with Softstag and a overheating issue is most likely.

What size case do you have? Do you have any case fans in there?
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: