Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

help needed - random behavior of USB media

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
tarungoyal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: help needed - random behavior of USB media Reply with quote

Hi,

I need help to use my compact USB mp3 player. I bought this device 2 months ago in Germany - make of "DK Digital" (2GB capacity, mp3 player + FM radio + voice recording).

The device connects correctly to my PC, showing all contents (files/folders) correctly.
Problem is that when I connect it to my laptop (or any other PC in my office), it shows less than half of the folders (obviously the files within those folders are also not visible/accessible). It shows only two directories "Media" and "Data".

Can anyone throw some light about what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Tarun

p.s.: There was no installation/driver provided by the vendor.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the folders are hidden and your PCs at work are not configured to show hidden files/folders.

What operating systems are you using on your home and work PCs?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
tarungoyal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I checked for that possibility - I set my view properties to "show hidden files/folders" - but it didn't work. Anyways, I hadn't copied any hidden folder, neither I changed the "hide" property of any folder - so this couldn't be an issue.

The PCs in the office, my laptop and home PC - all have Win XP sp2 Professional.

Is there a way to "flush" the usb buffer, or reinstall the usb drivers?
Alternatively, is there a generic firmware for such usb devices?

Is any of the above likely to change the device's behvior?

thanks,
Tarun
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no USB buffer to flush, and XP does not have the facility to reinstall drivers for Mass Storage Devices as they are built in - even if it did I don't think this would help.

Firmware is specific to devices, so there can be no generic firmware.

It is possible that there are some restrictions in place on the work machines, maybe your IT department can shed some light on this.

If the device supports MTP mode, then it could be that you need to have MTP drivers on your work PCs. This is included in Media Player 10, try updating your version of media player.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: