Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help Predict Climate Change

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Help Predict Climate Change Reply with quote

The BBC are organising the largest ever climate change experiment and you can take part!

Predicting climate change is very difficult and even the most powerful supercomputers take a long time to run models. In order to speed up the process and make more accurate predictions software has been written to run models on people's home computers and feed the data back to the researchers. This software makes use of available processing power on your computer, so when your PC is idle makes use of this time without affecting normal performance.

The more people who get involved with this, the more information researches will have on climate change and global warming. Please install the software and spread the word. The more people who take part in this the better.

BBC Climate Change
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
street1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the USA and I would like to make a comment.

It seems all the industry from our country is being moved to
3rd world countries,where all the polution is not monitored.

This would accellerate polution faster than any other event
that could take place. Wink
The Forum King.
Steve

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Street2

I'm British, but living in India. I'm here because of the outsourcing phenomenon that is going on at the moment.

I guess you are right that manufacturing is being moved to the lesser developed countries, where pollution is controlled less, and that is a concern.
India and China are responsible for a significant proportion of pollution and CO2 emissions, and they are rising all the time. Globally this has to be addressed, but we shouldn't forget that our own nations have already been through their development stages and industrial revolutions. At these times climate change (in the way we talk about it today) was not even thought of. The need for nations to develop in such a way is essential for their survival in the global market place.

Global climate change is a global problem, we should not point the finger at China, or India, and say that country is the biggest polluter, so they must sort it out. We must all - every nation, and every individual - play our part in reducing emissions for the greater good. And if that means western companies insisting on better pollution controls in factories in developing countries, then that's a good start.

If you look at the amount of energy consumed per person, you will find that America and Western Europe top the charts. It is the developed countries who use the most energy per capita, and it is the developed countries who have the money and expertise to develop cleaner energy and more fuel efficient products. It is our responsibility to do this, then we can pass on the technology to lesser developed countries to make a bigger impact on the global situation.

I am saddened that the US government does not take climate change seriously. The evidence is there, but I don't believe they will admit to it because they think it will lose them votes. Americans love their big cars, and their cheap petrol prices make it possible for a good proportion of the population to have them. Your average Indian aspires to own a motorbike, a car is a distant dream to all but the more affluent.

I believe it is for the western world to set examples to the developing world, and to insist on outsourced manufacturing to meet western standards of pollution control.

I hope my opinion doesn't offend, it is not intended to, just my view on the situation. Mr. Green
street1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, your just fine there as far as I go.You couldn't offend me with a naked ape--

----------------->Shaved! Laughing
The Forum King.
Steve

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an interesting article here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6341607.stm

It shows that India is making changes towards greener technologies. The use of Biofuels rather than conventional fuels to power mobile phone masts in areas without electricity.

Some interesting stats also:
400 million of India's 1.2 billion people don't have an electricity supply. That's the equivalent of the UK, USA and Canada's populations combined!
Even in the large cities in India power cuts of over an hour every day are regular occurrences.
Petrol prices in India are more than in the US ($1.3/litre) and $5,000 a year is considered a good wage. Most people simply can't afford to drive motorbikes and cars.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: