Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with ASUS EEE PC trying to install Windows XP

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Help with ASUS EEE PC trying to install Windows XP Reply with quote

I've got an Asus eee pc 2GB and I've been trying to install Windows XP SP2 on it all day.

I followed some on-line instructions which were highly recommended by the people who had followed them (Including many people with eee pcs)

I booted my eee from the USB stick containing XP, and everything seemed to be working quite well, until:

"PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED"

Came up on a blue screen, with some other stuff as well.

Basically I want to know how to get past this problem.

Please bare in mind I am a complete techno-phobe so can any explanations be in very simple terms please??

Thanks.

Abi.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you installing from a freshly formatted drive, or are you trying to install over an existing Windows installation?

I think the best option here is to do a completely clean installation. Restart the XP installation and towards the beginning you will be asked where you want to install XP, here delete ALL partitions, then create a new partition the full size of the disk, then continue with the installation. Note that this will remove ALL data from the PC!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
schiller

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the same problem. Tossed away the flashdrive and bought a external usb dvd drive. Solved my problem. Another way is to take out the EEE PC's hard drive, put it into desktop computer format the drive in windows. Then you can choose... Try again using a flash drive or external usb drive or leave the hard drive in the desktop computer boot with a windows cd install windows onto the EEE PC's hard drive through desktop computer and when the installation finishes and makes the final reboot before windows starts... Power off the desktop, take out the laptop hard drive put it back into the EEE PC and voila. Just need to get those drivers...

Let me know if you came right
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Are you installing from a freshly formatted drive, or are you trying to install over an existing Windows installation?

I think the best option here is to do a completely clean installation. Restart the XP installation and towards the beginning you will be asked where you want to install XP, here delete ALL partitions, then create a new partition the full size of the disk, then continue with the installation. Note that this will remove ALL data from the PC!

I'm trying to install over the basic Xandros that comes with the eee pc 2gb.

I am aware that I need to delete the partitions - but the advice I followed online said to do the 'text' installation first, and it is after this that I get the error message, I don't get a chance to delete anything...

schiller wrote:
Had the same problem. Tossed away the flashdrive and bought a external usb dvd drive. Solved my problem. Another way is to take out the EEE PC's hard drive, put it into desktop computer format the drive in windows. Then you can choose... Try again using a flash drive or external usb drive or leave the hard drive in the desktop computer boot with a windows cd install windows onto the EEE PC's hard drive through desktop computer and when the installation finishes and makes the final reboot before windows starts... Power off the desktop, take out the laptop hard drive put it back into the EEE PC and voila. Just need to get those drivers...

Let me know if you came right

I would go for the hard drive option if I wasn't afraid of damaging or ruining anything - I wouldn't even know where to look to find the hard drive :\
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PcNoob wrote:

I am aware that I need to delete the partitions - but the advice I followed online said to do the 'text' installation first, and it is after this that I get the error message, I don't get a chance to delete anything...

I am referring to the Text part of the Windows installation. You should have to agree to the Licence Agreement, then shortly after that it should show the existing partitions available - here you need delete all the partitions and create a new one the full size of the drive.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New problem :

When trying to boot from USB, can go into text instalation mode, says its doing it, then:

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

ARGH!

Help?

Abi.
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
PcNoob wrote:

I am referring to the Text part of the Windows installation. You should have to agree to the Licence Agreement, then shortly after that it should show the existing partitions available - here you need delete all the partitions and create a new one the full size of the drive.

Yeah, when I select the text installations option after I boot from the USB stick it simply goes to a blue screen saying windows setup, says its setting stuff up, then I get a blue screen up... Though with a new error message now:

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

I have nLited xp and slip streamed to sp3 since my last post.

I'm going to check my nlited version and make sure I didn't disable anything stupid.
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just realised I did make a mistake in the Nlite programme. Will remedy this then return.
PcNoob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUCCESS!

Thanks for all your help on this matter.

Abi (A very happy eee user)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: