Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help With Broken Computer

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
CBragg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Help With Broken Computer Reply with quote

My computer is Compaq, 160GB and around more than 3 years old (sorry for lack of detail)

At the moment I have about 20GB of space left on it, and don't want to loose any of the stuff I have on there.

However, my computer doesn't turn on. It gets to the screen where I am asked to choose whether I want to start windows normally, safe mode or using the last known working configuration. Whichever I choose, the computer just restarts and goes back to this screen.

I haven't been able to suss out a way of getting the computer to start and I really don't want to re-boot my computer, or delete all the files on it (I have already had to do this several times in the last year)

I have been told about an enclosure device that I could use to get the hard drive out and use externally, however, I would like to find out if I can get my computer to work before I have to spend money that I don't have on this.

If anyone could help or point me in the right direction then I would really appreciate this (I have coursework due in this week and need to get it from the computer!)

Thanks

Claire
Markb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like there is a disk corruption in the area that stores the system files. Fairly common as these are the parts of the HDD that see the most action. As you are getting some response from the HDD it isn't terminal yet, so before is it foobar'd I suggest getting a new HDD (30 for a reasonable size one) install your OS on the new disk and then put the old one in as a slave to copy your data across.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try doing a manual system restore (if you are running XP). This process will not delete any data, but may get Windows working again.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: