Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I re-install Windows 98?

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: How do I re-install Windows 98? Reply with quote

I wish to re-install this but need the drivers for the installed hardware. I've been told I need ALL the drivers for the system to work. I've used 'print screen' and created a bmp image of the entire sysinfo/software/drivers/kernel (also ms-dos + user-mode drivers) for easy reference.

Do I need to find each and every driver in this list using the internet and save them for the re-installation? I imagine some are for programs so there will be a few I can leave out - yes? Are some of these drivers included in the Win98fe disc?

Is it possible to create a recovery disc for simple re-installation or is this a task for programmers?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some drivers will be part of Windows (if you go in to the driver's Properties in Device Manager, they will show as the vendor being Microsoft).

Most drivers will be fairly specific to your hardware, and you should try to locate their installation files first. This way you can install them without trouble. You will need to know the make and model of each device in your computer, then locate the appropriate driver installation files on the internet.

It is possible to use programs like Norton Ghost to make an image of your hard drive with the working Windows installation on. Then when your PC goes wrong, you simply restore the backup image and you are left with a working version of Windows. This is great, but it does delete any data on the hard drive!
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sl23

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Some drivers will be part of Windows (if you go in to the driver's Properties in Device Manager, they will show as the vendor being Microsoft).

Does this mean I need to go into each and every device in device manager and explore it's driver properties, or is there a quicker way?

Quote:
Most drivers will be fairly specific to your hardware, and you should try to locate their installation files first. This way you can install them without trouble.

So each driver will have it's own setup or .exe file or similar contained on my HDD? If so would I locate under it's driver name? How do I recognise the installtion program?

Quote:
You will need to know the make and model of each device in your computer,

Is this all the info I need? I understand the obvious devices such as graphics, sound and cdrom, etc need drivers but how far does this go - do I need drivers for processors or other not so obvious devices that are shown in device manager?

What about the list of drivers in the 'sysinfo/software/drivers' folder ( or location?), that lists all drivers is this not an easier way of finding out what drivers are what? I find it confusing in device manager as I don't know what many of the devices are!! In the 'sysinfo' it states that most drivers in the 'kernel' folder are 'microsoft corporation', 'microsoft windows operating system', 'microsoft windows product support tools', 'microsoft windows millenium operating system', 'microsoft directx for windows 98' does that mean these drivers are included on the win98fe disc?

Also what about the info in 'dxdiag' is that relevant or is this info contained in device manager somewhere?

When searching the win98 disc for specific files how do I get the search to scan the entire disc not just a specific folder? When I search 'D:\windows98' the search is over in a couple of seconds, I know it hasn't searched all folders contained in this folder, the laptop aint that quick!

Ta Softie
sl23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello...

Any chance of a reply? Wink ^ ^ ^
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I've been away.

The installation files for your drivers (exe, zip, whatever) isn't necessarily on your PC, in the same way that the installation files for a program aren't necessarily on your PC if you have installed the program.

It is essential that you find out what you have before proceeding otherwise you could leave your system worse than it currently is. If you know the make and model of your PC then you can usually get the information from the Vendor/Manufacturer.

When searching the Windows CD, set to the drive letter of the CD drive only, don't specify the folder and it should do a full scan.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
sl23

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the info...

I have searched the toshiba website both uk and america, but it seems the laptop is no longer supported (surprise, surprise!)

They state that anyone after the original discs or drivers etc are out of luck as far as they are concerned.

Back to my previous question though - when looking through device manager for driver info, do I only need the driver that don't have the Microsoft certificate or any other support by them, or even written by them?

Thankyou
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need them if they are not Microsoft written drivers. Other companies can get their drivers certificated by Microsoft, but these are not provided by MS.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: