Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get Windows98 SE to work with Flash Drives > 1GB

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Curly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: How to get Windows98 SE to work with Flash Drives > 1GB Reply with quote

In short, I cannot get Windows 98SE to work with any Flash Drive larger than 1GB. It will work with 1GB drives, but I prefer to use 4GB (and perhaps larger drives).

First, I checked Microsoft newsgroups for Windows 98, but its forum . . . microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion . . . http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?guid=2795731e-e69c-426a-aac8-5493495967b2 . . . is EMPTY, and all of the Win98 Links, except Shell, associated with Newsgroups deleted June 1, 2010 redirect to Windows Forums for Windows 7, Vista and XP, and that's why I am posting here.

Prior to posting here, I Googled and reviewed, tried and failed, for hours - over 15 hours, to be exact.

The first thing I did was a thorough system scrubbing of the Registry and Programs, eliminating temp files, and other crap.

Because I hadn't updated for the last 3 years, I found Windows98 SE Service Pack 2.1 and installed it. Then I scrubbed the Registry (which, to my surprise, remained perfectly clean) and my system.

Next, I researched, downloaded and installed various drivers - first using the specific manufacturer's Windows 98SE drivers, and when they did not work, I tried a couple of generic drivers. Both failed - again, Windows98 SE would nothing work with any Flash Drive larger than 1GB.

With all of my Googling, one of the issues I had hoped to find was something that simply stated that Window98 SE was incapable of reading any Flash Drive larger than 1GB. But I did not, and I am having this problem with a desktop PC - whereas my notebook PC, also running Windows98 SE, will read Flash Drives larger than 1GB, and that is why I want to believe that I have either forgot a setting or simply do not remember how I achieved this with my notebook (something I did over 3 years ago).

Any suggestions, recommendations or guidance is sincerely appreciated.

With kindest regards,

Curly
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you do realise that "service pack" is totally unofficial and may contain bugs?

anyway, what motherboard do you have in that machine?
Or if you can't access that info, whats the chipset (especially the USB chip)

could well be a limitation of the board / chipset / BIOS

presumably the onboard chip is USB1 or 1.1
have you tried a USB2 add-in card?
hitech

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 98 is very much old to use with flash drives. You must have to install the driver. And flash drive may perform slow in Win 98.
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitech wrote:
Windows 98 is very much old to use with flash drives. You must have to install the driver. And flash drive may perform slow in Win 98.

Please check past posts and links on this forum
You will see that the senior members of the site have quite a lot of experience of Win98 and USB storage devices.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers here should work with flash drives much bigger than 1Gb. However, you must ensure that the drive itself is formatted with a file system that Windows 98 can support (FAT). NTFS formatted drives will not appear in My Computer as the OS can't read the file system.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: