Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Crash and Screeching Noise

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
flopcabbage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: HP Crash and Screeching Noise Reply with quote

Hi guys, please help

I was playing online this morning, WOW for anyone whos interested, and suddenly my monitior flashed, went black and the pc tower started making this horrendous screeching noise. nothing on the screen, just black, so turned off using on/off button on tower. tried it again later and same thing happened..any ideas...is it FUBAR ? Crying or Very sad

Can update with model later on, but i'm fairly sure its a HP Pavillion.
Cheers
JonS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably a cooling system failure - bearing gone on a fan. However could be the fan in a PSU or even (though unlikely) a failed hard drive

Open it up and see if any fans are visibly stuck - making that noise the source should be obvious if you try to turn the fans by hand
However remember that if the CPU fan has failed then the CPU itself - or even the motherboard may be fried.
flopcabbage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, computer is opened and cleaned regularly to make sure as little dust as possible is inside, all the fans are working fine. The noise would appear to be coming from the general direction of the Graphics Card!

I have seen so many posts about reliability issues of HP machines failing just after the manufacterers two year warranty runs out and this is the case with mine...by a mere 5 days! although for once i had extended the warranty so forutnately it is covered by Comets extended warranty and they are sending a man round on Friday Smile

Will update when it has been inspected so if others suffer a similar problem the answer will be here, thanks for the reply JonS Smile
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will be the cooling fan of the graphics card
You'll almost certainly find the fan stiff, and the chip will have overheated
The card will have to be replaced. Gives you an excuse to fit something newer.

PS - as a rule HP machines are OK from a reliability point of view. Only exceptions I can think of are their laptops with Nvidia graphics - which is a problem which applies to ALL makes with Nvidia chips. HP and Compaq desktops are usually OK. In this case you can blame the graphics card makers for using a poor quality fan
flopcabbage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has an Nvidia graphics card Crying or Very sad at least i think it does.

HP Pavillion Slimline S3422 is the model, not being very computer minded I bought what i liked the look of in the shop, but since then have taken up online gaming, and the framerate on the game is terrible, and that i believe is down to the graphics card, maybe I'm just expecting too much of it Smile as WOW is high intensity graphically. and i should really be using a specific gaming machine Rolling Eyes
JonS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was the Nvidia based laptops that were the problem - when they went wrong it was time for the bin
As yours seems to have a separate graphics card it should be easy to repair. However, next time don't get a small form factor machine - they all get hellishly hot inside and tend to fail early, irrespective of make.
Being an HP is not the problem: its simply that the fashion for slimline cases produces machines which don't have enough air flow through them
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: