Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HP Photosmart P1000 printer

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: HP Photosmart P1000 printer Reply with quote

For the past week I've been trying to connect my old HP printer bought several years ago. It had a parallel connection but I bought a new adapter cable to connect it to my laptop's USB port.
I am having problems just getting these machines to communicate with each other and print. I have downloaded drivers from HP but still can't get the printer to print logical words.
Sometimes the output looks like some sort of gibberish. Tried changing the ports with some of the info. gleaned from the internet, so before I call a techie, can anyone shed some light on my problem?

margaret
alberta
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret, Welcome to the forums.
Can you give details of the adapter that you purchased, also details of what operating system you are using. I suspect that the problem will be in the settings of the adapter and how it deals with the signaling.
Markb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,
I have just looked at the specification of your printer and it says that you can use USB or Parallel to connect the printer. Can you just us a USB connection direct to the laptop instead of the parallel adapter? From the diagram there is a USB connection on the printer just to the right of the parallel connection. It is a USB type B socket (On the right of picture)

A standard USB lead should connect it to the laptop.
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markb wrote:
Hi Margaret, Welcome to the forums.
Can you give details of the adapter that you purchased, also details of what operating system you are using. I suspect that the problem will be in the settings of the adapter and how it deals with the signaling.

I bought the Becker brand that included a tiny disc that accompanied the cable. My printer is at least 10 years old, and I used it with my very old Win 98. (now departed) I now have a Sony laptop- Win XP. I followed the instruction that came with the packaged cord. Messages said my laptop accepted this machine. Nothing worked to get it to print a logical sentence from MS word, or notepad. I downloaded a driver from HP, hoping that would solve the problem printing.
Altho' it recognized the printer, it would print several pages of garbled symbols.
I might be better off buying a new printer, but am determined to give this a few more tries. There's two USB ports on the laptop, one of which is used by my wireless mouse. Would there be a number sequence issue here for the USB port. My next step is to plug the adapter into the other USB port and try again.
margaret
alberta
Margaret

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markb wrote:
Hi Margaret,
I have just looked at the specification of your printer and it says that you can use USB or Parallel to connect the printer. Can you just us a USB connection direct to the laptop instead of the parallel adapter? From the diagram there is a USB connection on the printer just to the right of the parallel connection. It is a USB type B socket (On the right of picture)

A standard USB lead should connect it to the laptop.

I looked at the back of the printer, and yes there is a USB SOCKET, but I'm not sure I have the extra cable that came with the machine, as my son installed it 9 years ago, when I was computer illiterate. (Nine years later, he's unable to help his old mom)

margaret
Markb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Margaret,
A USB cable is very cheap and can be purchased from any PC shop. I strongly recommend that you get one as it will be far easier than the parallel adapter. If you need to download the XP drivers for the printer, they can be found here (This is a link direct to the file and will prompt you to save it)

If you need further help, just ask.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: