Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I CAN'T TURN SAFE MODE OFF!!!!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
glynpaul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: I CAN'T TURN SAFE MODE OFF!!!! Reply with quote

I had a virus on my computer, so I completley formatted my hard drive using fdisk, then did it again when I popped in my windowsxp disc. I then downloaded xp, but I now can't get safe-mode to turn off. I've tried F8 but even if I select normal mode, it still comes up as a 4bit screen which I can't alter. I've also checked my setup and there is no indication that it is configured to setup in safe-mode. I've even downloaded a program that selects normal mode but that hasn't worked either.

Please, please help me, it's been 2 weeks now and i'm pulling my hair out!
Markb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it definitely Safe Mode and not just a low resolution. When you enter safe mode it will come up with a prompt when you start up telling you that you are in safe mode. It could be that you do not have the correct video drivers installed and you can only get 16 colours.
glynpaul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a low resoloution. How would I know if I have the correct video drivers installed? I have completely formatted my hard drive, so maybe i've wiped them, I can only get 4bit now. It used to be fine.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know what video card you have? Windows will probably have installed basic generic drivers that will only give limited functionality.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: