Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm an Idiot! Please help

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: I'm an Idiot! Please help Reply with quote

I dont know if you will be able to help.
> I have a Packard Bell Laptop, which I purchased around 3 years ago. It uses Windows XP.
> About 6 months ago, I made a fatal decision to re-install windows XP, due to several dsamaging viruses and constant crashing etc.
> Unfortunately, after I did this, I realised I was not supplied any discs with my Laptop to be able to re-install all the extras that were already on there, i.e. Internal Wireless Adapter and all the rest of the usual extras you may get.
> Now I am unable to do anything on my Laptop, including accessing the Internet (the main reason i purchased it). All I can do is use office, which i've re-installed, play games, and basically use anything that comes standard with XP.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether there is a way to reclaim these things back? Whether it be through the Laptop, or through a manufacturer or anything else you may know of.

Please help!!!
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm an Idiot! Please help Reply with quote

Scarykarl wrote:
I dont know if you will be able to help.
> I have a Packard Bell Laptop, which I purchased around 3 years ago. It uses Windows XP.
> About 6 months ago, I made a fatal decision to re-install windows XP, due to several dsamaging viruses and constant crashing etc.
> Unfortunately, after I did this, I realised I was not supplied any discs with my Laptop to be able to re-install all the extras that were already on there, i.e. Internal Wireless Adapter and all the rest of the usual extras you may get.
> Now I am unable to do anything on my Laptop, including accessing the Internet (the main reason i purchased it). All I can do is use office, which i've re-installed, play games, and basically use anything that comes standard with XP.
>
> What I'm wondering is whether there is a way to reclaim these things back? Whether it be through the Laptop, or through a manufacturer or anything else you may know of.

Please help!!!

If you have a look on the manufacturers web site you may find you can download the restore disks for your machine which may well include any bundled software.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if you can't get restore disks, you should be able to get all the drivers and utilities required. Do you know the exact model of the laptop - it is probably on a sticker on the laptop?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Model is a MIT-DRAG-A, if thats is it, thats what it says next to Model anyway.

Sorry, i'm a complete dunse when it comes to anythin technical with computers.

Just noticed it says: Easynote W3240, presume this is the model.

Does this help?
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded some of the files from the manufacturers website, but when I try to open them on the laptop it says 'Requires Windows NT Service Pack 1 or later to run'.

I don't know what else to do any ideas?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What version of Windows did you install?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows XP, the version that was on the Laptop originally
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you are possibly installing the wrong drivers. You need to ensure you get the drivers for Windows XP
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I thought, but the Packard Bell website lets you put your serial number in so they know exactly which product it is. It even said next to the file when i downladed it that it is for OS Windows XP.

Confused I dont know what else to try
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the file?
Scarykarl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a few,

Master file- All available files in 1: Modem drivers, WLAN drivers, Moniter drivers etc etc,

The the individual ones: Modem Drivers, WLAN drivers etc etc.

Nothing would work.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are all giving this error then it would seem that they are for Windows NT, not Windows XP - try downloading them again.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: