Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

install flash drive driver failing for 98SE
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
ramahlee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: install flash drive driver failing for 98SE Reply with quote

I am having trouble installing a flash drive driver for my Windows 98SE system. It was originally a 98 system but I upgraded(updated) to SE with a legal version made for 98 to 98SE, not an SE OEM. I first tried the driver download from PNY website, but no success. Then I tried the tech. assist. Windows 98SE Generic nusb33e, with no better luck. Maybe I just don't know what I'm doing, but I sent it to the desktop. When I tried to run it, message given, was package not compatible w/version of Windows you are running. At other stages in the process from both sites, I got messages "unable to find driver."

I have wasted far too much time on this, so would appreciate any help.

Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you are running 98SE? What does it say the version is in System Properties?

Also, you need to install the correct language version for your version of Windows, otherwise it will not install.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
ramahlee

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replying. I'm not on my home computer to give you the exact numbers, but I checked the version, as instructed before attempting the PNY driver download. I went to system properties and it said it was running Windows 98SE and the date had the 2's in it that matched the date on the instructions. I think there was an A after the 2's.

Also, as far as I know, I was installing the English version of the driver and I have no reason to believe my Windows is anything other than an English version.

Could any latent parts of the 98FE that weren't affected by the upgrade(update) be interfering with the install?

Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try downloading again to make sure you have not got a corrupt download. If this is still the same you may need to install the Win98FE version.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
jglong3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Try downloading again to make sure you have not got a corrupt download. If this is still the same you may need to install the Win98FE version.

Hello SoftStag and ramahlee,,,,, Smile Smile

Just today I had this very same message when nusb33e.exe was downloaded and executed.

I downloaded an older English version (2.3) and it worked as expected.

Then I noticed that when reviewing PROPERTIES on each of the .exe files only the 2.3 exe version would provide all that was expected: General and Version.

Then I noticed the ICON for the 3.3 version was the older DOS icon for an exe file so I re-downloaded and now all is fine for the 3.3 exe version.

So, it looked as if the first download of 3.3 was corrupted.

Jerry
ramahlee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you for replying. I did some checking and found the message "CABfilenusb33e.exe is corrupt" which confirms your suspicions. Instead of retrying to download the 33 version, I decided to try an older version as jglong did. However, I downloaded the nusb32e.exe instead of the 2.3 that he did. The download and install was successful!!!! Thank you!!!!

Now, my questions are: should I retry to download the 33e.exe version? If I do, should I remove the 32e.exe version first? What is the difference between the 33 and the 32? Is the 32 also a 98SE version and not an FE version? Will the 32 version support an ipod which I think that I read the 33 version does?

Thanks again for your help. Ramah Lee
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is little difference between v3.2 and v3.3. They are both 98SE compatible only v3.3 has better USB floppy disk support. Both support Apple iPods.
jglong3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
There is little difference between v3.2 and v3.3. They are both 98SE compatible only v3.3 has better USB floppy disk support. Both support Apple iPods.

Hello ramahlee,,, Smile Smile

It's been several days since I had to look at the web pages related to these Generic USB Drivers. If I remember correctly I thought there was a page devoted to specifics about upgrades from one version to another. If you want to know the details and if I am not mistaken about this page then give the pages a review and see if you can find it,,,,Sorry I cannot remember that page or if this is true or not,,, Neutral Neutral

With respect to the removal of the downloaded executable, my 23e.exe version is still in the same directory/folder as the 33.exe. And, the 33e.exe was executed. It seems that these self extracting executables allow the direct install of the the drivers. Since I do not know that much about drivers and any related files I would think that as one version is loaded and then another version is later loaded these would replace whatever was installed previously as well as install any additional stuff.

Maybe someone could advise us about this since even in my beginning these generic drivers were not on my machine. So, /SYSTEM/DEVICE/+USB stuff was not removed. Then 23e.exe was run and drivers insalled.

Now the question I have is the following:

does stuff set up in /SYSTEM/DEVICE/+USB by one version install need to be REMOVED for the next version (33e.exe) or does the .exe simply replace what has been installed previously?????

Jerry
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to install a newer version over an older version without problem.

I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say /SYSTEM/DEVICE/+USB
jglong3

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say /SYSTEM/DEVICE/+USB

Hello SofStag,,,, Smile Smile

From your comment: "You should be able to install a newer version over an older version without problem."; it appears what I was attempting to say is not required.

What I meant to say was, if required, the REMOVAL of any items in DEVICE MANAGER for the Universal Serial Bus Controller using the following:

START/SETTINGS/CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/DEVICE MANAGER

SELECT +Universal Serial Bus Controller

and REMOVE the stuff installed on the previous version
execution.

The reason for this question is related to the instructions "To install the drivers" --- (W98SE USB Mass Storage Device Driver on page:

www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

Where is says:

o Remove ALL drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager
o Remove ALL drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers (many have an
uninstall option)
o Remove ALL unknown devices from Device Manager

Jerry
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving from 3.2 to 3.3 does not require the removal of things from Device Manager. The version change is minor, and does not require this. If in doubt though removing these things will do no harm. Be aware though, just removing something from Device Manager does not necessarily uninstall the device, it just unassociates the drivers with the device.
jglong3

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Moving from 3.2 to 3.3 does not require the removal of things from Device Manager. The version change is minor, and does not require this. If in doubt though removing these things will do no harm. Be aware though, just removing something from Device Manager does not necessarily uninstall the device, it just unassociates the drivers with the device.

Hello SoftStag,,,, Smile Smile

OK,,,THANKS and that's what I thought,,,,,,as mentioned in the instructions "To install the drivers" --- (W98SE USB Mass Storage Device Driver) even if these had REMOVAL stuff in the ADD/REVOVE PROGRAMS as well as any REMOVAL from DEVICE MANAGER the drivers deliverd by the nusbxx.exe would be put in the driver data base for selection on BOOT-UP.

And, so far with various FLASH drives and other devices which do not specify on their requirements that W9xx can be used, I am having no problems with USB stuff from the nusb33e.exe. And, the ones that I have used offer no downloadable drivers for W9xx for their equipment.

Jerry Smile Smile
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: