Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Install Flash Drive - WIN98SE - can somebody please help me?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Install Flash Drive - WIN98SE - can somebody please help me? Reply with quote

Windows 98 Second Edition (4.10.2222)
Kingston DataTraveler I USB 2.0

I ran nusb33e.exe, followed the directions, deleted all usb devices, hub, unknown devices (PCI card with yellow !) from device manager, rebooted.

When booting, PCI Universal bus hardware found for drivers to be installed. It came up with the window to enter where to look for the files and I entered several different locations (windows\system\ etc.). Windows couldn't find any drivers and I had to 'cancel' to complete the boot. So now I have nothing in device manager, obviously. This usb port was working before.

What location do I enter for Windows to look for the files? Is that what the problem is? Or is it something else? (I feel like such a dummy!) Confused

Thanks!
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: nusb33e.exe Reply with quote

After deleting the items from Device Manager, did you double click on the nusb33e.exe file? If not then you will need to delete the problem items again and run the file.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: nusb33e.exe Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
After deleting the items from Device Manager, did you double click on the nusb33e.exe file? If not then you will need to delete the problem items again and run the file.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it! I did this and it's still not working.

Here's exactly what I did:
1) deleted files (usb & pci) from Device Manager
2) ran nusb33e.exe (it created folder nusb33e)
3) rebooted
4) checked 'let windows search for driver'
5) 'specify location' - browsed to location of nusb33e folder & clicked next
6) windows was unable to locate file

Others have gotten this nusb33e.exe to work and my usb worked with other usb devices before I deleted the files from the device manager. So I know I'm doing something wrong - I just don't know *what*.

Please help and thanks,
Ambrosia
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: nusb33e.exe creates a folder? Reply with quote

I'm not sure what happened with point 2. This is an application and should run and not create a folder like you say....

It should be that after deleting from Device Manager and running the file, it goes through an installation process, that will probably require a reboot afterwards. Once rebooted the devices should automatically detect and install. Clearly this is not happening with you...

Try right clicking on the folder and selecting Run or Open if Run is not an option. If this doesn't work, try downloading the file again and trying again.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked exactly like you said and automatically detected and installed the devices. The device manager showed everything, I copied to flash drive - everything great! I was SO happy!

But it only worked ONCE. After I shut down the computer (properly) and turned it on the next day, the flash drive didn't show up in explorer and the device manager showed 'usb drive' with yellow ! (under 'other devices') and 'usb mass storage' entry (under 'universal bus ...') was gone. I didn't remove the flash drive when I shut the computer down, should I have or does it matter?

So... I deleted from device manager, ran nusb33e.exe and it went thru its installation process, rebooted, windows found hardware to be installed but couldn't find drivers. It didn't automatically detect and install like it did the first time.

I know the nusb33e.exe works, I know my usb worked before, I know the flash drive works... it's ME I'm not sure about.

Please help and thanks,
Ambrosia

NOTE: what happened with point 2: i figured out that i had tried another program I downloaded that created the nusb3e folder, it used nusb33e.exe, and put files in that folder.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try going in to Safe Mode. Remove any unknown devices and the USB drive and restart in normal mode. Then plug in the USB drive.

It might be better if the USB drive is not in when the computer is booting, although really it should be OK.
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get into safe mode: blue screen, fatal exception error, VSMON, kernel32.dll. Tried several times.

After I delete the usb stuff from device manager, there's nothing there except the very basics: cd, hard drives, floppy, keyboard, mouse, etc., and nothing 'unknown'. 'Unknown' used to be there with 'pci device' but it's no longer there.

I just can't imagine what happened to make it not work after the computer was turned off and then back on, when it was working perfectly before. I'm truly perplexed! Something is conflicting some place.

SoftStag, I really appreciate all your help and good suggestions. Over the past week or so I've read several postings here and it seems you know *everything*! Some things are especially difficult, though, when you're not in front of the computer. And if you're ready to give up on it I certainly understand. If not, any more suggestions?

Thanks so much,
Ambrosia
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am slightly confused - you say that you can get in to Normal mode, but you get a BSoD in Safe Mode? That shouldn't be the case! Can you confirm?
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's weird but that's what happened, and I've never had that happen before. Today I tried again to boot in safe mode, several times, and it boots into normal, no bsod. I can't get into safe mode at all.

Tonight or tomorrow I'm going to reinstall windows, see if that 'cleans' things up some, then see if I can get into safe mode. I'll let you know.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reinstall Windows Reply with quote

Reinstalling Windows will probably help. You should install the drivers again after this. Let us know how you get on
Ambrosia

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Reinstall Windows Reply with quote

SoftStag wrote:
Reinstalling Windows will probably help. You should install the drivers again after this. Let us know how you get on

Okay...
I reinstalled windows, ran nusb33e.exe, the flash drive worked.

Next time I booted up, same problems as before - yellow ! in device manager and flash drive didn't work.

I went into Safe Mode (I was *surprised* at all the usb entries there that I couldn't see in Normal Mode-you were right!) and deleted them all. The flash drive worked.

Next time I booted up, same problems.

From looking at the device manager in Safe Mode, it occurred to me that the conflict might be that I have 2 usb's, one on the front of the computer and one on the back. I've never used the usb on the front. When I boot, a PCI universal bus is found and windows wants to install drivers. Before I started trying to use the flash drive, I had a PCI device with a yellow ! but it never seemed to affect anything, and the usb on the back of the computer worked.

I could explain all this better if I knew more about usb stuff, I hope I've made it clear enough.

SoftStag, thank you very much in advance if you can help.
Ambrosia
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: What is in Device Manager? Reply with quote

OK, I am slightly confused here I'm afraid! Can you do the following for me.

In Normal Mode:
Arrow Without the flash drive plugged in - Go in to Device Manager and tell me what appears in the sections Disk Drives and Universal Serial Bus Controllers - also mention if anything is reporting a problem.
Arrow Plug in the flash drive and let me know what changes in the sections mentioned above.

In Safe Mode:
Arrow Go in to Device Manager and tell me what appears in the sections Disk Drives and Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Please don't reinstall anything at this stage, I just need to understand the above.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: