Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

installing a new graphics card (Geforce 9800GX2)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
servaasd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: installing a new graphics card (Geforce 9800GX2) Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new here and I'm a huge rookie with hardware upgrades etc. That said, here's my "problem". I'll explain as good as I can... here it goes:

Past Problem:
In the past, I tried to change my videocard, but the new one didn't fit my rig... that's when I realised that I don't know anything about pc 'modding'. I need help with this. I don't want to make the same mistake twice.

New Problem:
I want to change my Geforce 9500GT with a GeForce 9800GX2.

Concernes:
- Powersupply: The GeForce 9800GX2 uses more than 500 watt. My current power supply is 400 watt and is model FSP400-60MDN from Fortron Source
- Bus-type: The GeForce 9800GX2 uses PCI Express 2.0. I thought I read somewhere that the geforce 9500GT uses this too. I need confirmation on this.

Sollutions:
- Can someone help me with powersupply-thingy...
- The Bus-type is okay I think, just need confirmation from one of you guys.
- Are there other things I have to worry about? Please tell me.

These are my systemspecs are:AMD Phenom™ X4 9500 quad-core processor
3 GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM
500 GB S-ATA harddrive, 8 MB Cache, speed:7200 tpm
NVIDIA® GeForce® 9500 GT / 256 MB DDR3 SDRAM
MSI MS-7501 motherboard

I want to change my current video card (geforce 9500GT). What must I take in account to make the other one work. The new card I want to install is a Geforce 9800GX2. Nvidia's latest card. The card requiers more then 500 watts of power. I have been looking on the internet for a new power supply and I found this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256011

Is this any good?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That card should work in your system with a new power supply. The one you mention is not recommended for this card. If you want a Silverstone PSU, then go for the ST1000.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
servaasd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The powersupply that I mensioned was proposed by someone from another help forum. Is the one you've mentioned recommended for the card?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the one I mentioned is recommended by nVidia for the card. The other one is not approved by them. That said both will probably work fine, but it is best to go with the recommended one.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
servaasd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that 1000 watts Surprised ... won't this be causing overheating? I have no extra cooling fans installed + the geforce 9800gx2 SSC (super super clocked) gives alot of heat.
Here are some pics of my pc now:
http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/Sertn/?action=view&current=pc15.jpg
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/Sertn/pc.jpg?t=1213120665
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/Sertn/pc14.jpg?t=1213120234
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk315/Sertn/pc19.jpg?t=1213120373
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power supply will only draw as much power as is required, and a highly loaded power supply will generate more heat than one that is proportionately lesser loaded, even if it is supplying the same amount of power. So if both a 850W and a 1000W PSU are both supplying 750W, then the 1000W one should run cooler.

There appears to be a space for a fan at the back of the system at the bottom, I would recommend placing a fan blowing air out of the system in this location if you can.
servaasd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I remove the black "thing" from the phenom x4 fan? That would make some space to place a fan on that location... But I don't know anything about modding, let alone installing a fan... Can you help me chose which fan I can use? What should I do to install a fan on that location?

By the way, I found this : http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3688/slf-08/AzenX_Blitztorm_System_Slot_Cooler_BT-SC70BBL.html?tl=g36c15s62#blank
In what slot does this fit? Is this something that I can use/install?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "black thing" is used to channel air from outside in to the processor. You may be able to remove it to gain access to install another fan, but you must put it back.

Any 80mm computer fan will do the trick. They are usually supplied with screws to mount it, and the case should have appropriately placed screw holes. Connection is usually via a 3 pin connector to the motherboard (you motherboard manual should show you where to connect), or you can get some with a 4 pin connector that connects to one of the connectors on the PSU. Just make sure you mount it to blow air out of the case, not in.

The item in the link you supplied will fit in to any empty slot. These fans tend not to be very good though as they can't move as much air.
servaasd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me again...

I've ordered the whole package now for 566.44 euro's at www.dollarstores.eu.

This is what I've bought:
- Sparkle Geforce 9800 GX2
http://www.dollarshops.eu/product_info.php/products_id/3344
- Sirtec High Power 1200W ATX 14+8cm fan cable managed
http://www.dollarshops.eu/product_info.php/products_id/995
- Antec Case Fan PRO 80mm DBB (I'll install this on the back of my pc)
http://www.dollarshops.eu/product_info.php/products_id/1354

What do you think?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fine. My only concern would be the PSU - it is not nVidia approved for the 9800GX2, however I suspect it will be fine. I am also not familiar with Sirtec PSUs.
servaasd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I found on the Sirtec website
Quote:
The new RockSolid Series sets the new standard for high capacity PSU's without compensating silence and stability. The RockSolid series provides the stable and reliable power for ultimate gaming, overclocking and extreme demanding systems.

Features
Real 1200W (Quad +12V max. output 1080W)
Silent performance
NVIDIA SLI / ATI CrossFire ready
80PLUS certified (>80% at all loadings)
Fan Delay-Off feature for extended product life
Modular cable management design (incl. 6x PCI-E connector)
13,5cm ultra silent fan & 8cm Golf-Surface fan

It also displays the logo of nvidia on the cpu information sheet... so I guess it's approved.
servaasd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess what... the psu does not fit... it's to freakin' big. My dvd-writer/cd-writer/blueraydisk - station is in the way... I'll buy a new case and ask a pro to fit my whole pc into the new case.

Can someone help me find a case that can fit all my parts? Thx
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: