Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing W98 driver for a SanDisk flash memory

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
wdc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Installing W98 driver for a SanDisk flash memory Reply with quote

Please send me again the URL for the site with these drivers.

Where the instructions say disconnect all other USB devices (or something like that) --- must I REALLY disconnect other USB devices before I install the flash memeory driver? I tried without doing so but my installation did not work.

FWIMBW .. my pc uses W98 original, not the SE version.

Thanks for your help.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drivers you refer to can be found here:
Generic USB Mass Storage Drivers for Windows 98 First Edition

It is most important that you remove any drivers for any USB Mass Storage Devices that you may have already installed, including any that appear in Other Devices as Windows will not use the new drivers until the devices are disassociated with the previously installed drivers (even if they don't work).

If you have any devices showing with an exclamation mark next to them, it's probably best to remove the device from Device Manger, then unplug and replug the flash drive (or whatever device it is you are trying to get working).
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
wdc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Is there a neat way to search for other drivers (that need to be removed)?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wdc wrote:
Thanks again. Is there a neat way to search for other drivers (that need to be removed)?

Not really, you have to do it manually.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
wdc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<Not really, you have to do it manually. >>

What do I look for? A particular extention? What else?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't just go deleting files of a given extension, that would more than likely cause much bigger problems.

You need to go in to Device Manager and remove anything in Other Devices, and anything with an exclamation mark next to it. Also go in to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall anything relating to any USB mass storage devices that is in there. I don't know what you have installed on this system in this respect, so it's down to you to work out what needs to be removed. Mass storage drivers could be for flash drives, USB hard drives, cameras, etc.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: