Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interactive Contract Program

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Phynyxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Interactive Contract Program Reply with quote

I just bought an Acer Aspire 5810TZ from an RTO company where I live. Now, they installed some kind of program, presumably like a lojack, or a remote killer, for instances when people wouldn't pay and would try to keep the merchandise. They would send a lock signal to the comp and lock it out. Now, the only evidence that I have of this is this little program that starts after the boot, but JUST before the login screen. It looks and reads like a short rental agreement that you have to hit okay on before you can move on to the user login. Now, this may not seem like much, but they destroyed the factory default restore partition in the process, and I'm positive its the culprit for the gradual decay of some of my systems. I'm constantly having to fix stuff. But for the life of me, I can't find this thing ANYWHERE. It doesn't help that, though I'm the only user, and I'm administrator, I dont have access to quite a few areas that I believe it may be hiding. I was even locked out of viewing Documents and Settings. Had to take ownership of the C drive to bypass it. Someone please help me get rid of this thing once and for all. I even have software on here to easily allow remote help if someone is willing. I just want it gone. Its bad enough that the recovery partition is gone. If someone can tell me how to post an image in here, I'll show you a pic of what it looks like, otherwise, advice or remote assistance is all I can think of. Please help me!!!
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does this message actually say?
it sounds more like some kind of ransomware virus

however big question - presumably this is on a rental greement? And have you stopped paying for it?

Last edited by JonS on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Phynyxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard rental agreement and property rights,complete with the address and phone numbers of both their stores. No warning of it interfering with the programming in any way. I would post it on here, but I took the picture with my phone.....wait a minute.... nope cant even paste it okay, someone help me out and tell me where to post this pic so it can be seen. That or you can connect to my yahoo messenger at phynyxe_602606 and I can share it there
might that work?

No, I haven't. In fact, Acer is sendin me the recovery discs to totally redo the OS, but I don't want to have to do that if I don't have to. I bought this for school and all my work and stuff has built up on it over the last few months, and I don't really feel like goin through all the stuff I'd have to deal with to do it right now. As for the payments, I should have my refund today. I'm payin off the last couple hundred sometime this afternoon. I just don't want someone who obviously didn't care about the programming to begin with to do anything else with it. You follow? No tellin what would happen to my stuff then.

Last edited by Phynyxe on Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Phynyxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: ha!! Reply with quote

Okay, i just made a pic of it my profile pic on yahoo messenger. Maybe that'll help a little lol heck i hope so...
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, can't see it
type out the text here
Phynyxe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

K lets see here

Notice:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Computer is subject to a Property Agreement

You understand that you are allowed to use this computer under the (blurry..)
signed as long as you are within good standing.

This computer is the property of:

Mike's Rent to Own
602 N. Main
El Dorado, KS 67042
316-322-7767

Mike's TV - ELDORADO
602 N MAIN
ELDORADO, KS 67042
316-322-7767

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------
OK
---------------------

That would be the okay button obviously lol
Does that help at all? I cant find a text file, program with a text, nothin. Then again, like I said, lots of things were changed from the default settings and theyre apparently doin this to all their comps now, although I and ACER have to them that they are damaging the goods (shrug)
JonS

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you amended that last post
As Acer are sending you a set of recovery disks, I suggest you back up your data to an external drive and then use those disks to restore the machine to how it should be working. Three points
1) it should get rid of the crudware - unless they've benn VERY clever when they installed it and put it into an HPA part of the drive. Possible, but unlikely
2) your problems are quite possibly due to viruses, not the crudware. If so, wiping it will get rid
3) theres a good chance your problems are due to a mechanical issue with the machine. Acers don't have a reputation for longevity. Get the machine restored to factory settings and see how it behaves. If its still bad then theres a fault, so claim on the warranty before it runs out
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: