Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Connection Drop
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
spazandspud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Internet Connection Drop Reply with quote

Hi there, im not very PC technical so please bare with me... Smile

I have a Belkin N+ Modem Router f5d8635-4v1 and my ISP is Pipex (they provied phone & broadband)... now normally i get internet download speeds of about 1100Kbps... but as of yesterday it all went slowwww... nothing has changed on the PC.. but now its running at between 120 and 400 kbps. I rang Pipex for some advice and they said theres "noise on the line" but the lady wasnt very easy to understand... she said i had to try a new filter.. and also unplug my phone for an hour... both of which i have done.. and nothing has changed.

If they follow up the slow fault.. they are going to charge me over 100 and i just don thave that right now.. so i was wondering if anyone can offer any advice please?

Ive run the virus checks etc.. rebooted, unplugged and all that, to no avail. It is a pain as my kids like online gaming and cant do anything on it right now!.. any help or advice (in dummy terms please!!!) would be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance Smile
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pipex are a pain like this
Assuming nothing has changed with the wiring in your house, then the fault is almost certainly in the BT network cabling - in which case there is NO charge payable. They can only charge if the fault proves to be with the internal wiring in your house

Now a little history lesson. I used to be with Pipex. I got speeds of around 3500mb/s. Then overnight the speeds dropped to less than 1000mb/s. I complained and complained and complained. Eventually Pipex decided to redefine my line as a "slow noisy line", said the speed was therefore within specification and refused to accept the complaint. So, over the next four weeks i put a series of daily complaints / fault reports into their online reporting system, making it very clear they were in breach on contract. In response they just continued to waffle. So I demanded a MAC code, eventually got one (even that was painful), and immediately transferred to another ISP. Within days my line was running at 5000mb/s.
I'd cancelled my direct debit at the same time as I started the complaints, making it clear in the online posts that I felt they were in breach of contract. They never chased me for the outstanding payment, so I assume their legal team realised they were at fault

Now a word of caution
When you change ISPs, remember that Pipex, AOL, TalkTalk, Tiscali and Carphone Warehouse are all the same company. Don't jump from one of those to another as nothing will change!
spazandspud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, thanks for the reply... we just had a huge fuss and carry on only last week over a different issue with them so are looking to change provider anyhow but as we dont have cable or anything here it looks like BT is possibly our best option.

im just fed up as even loading web pages is a pain never mind the gaming side of things!... not sure what else to try really! Shocked
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you plug your phone number into the SamKnows search engine at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker it will tell you which companies offered unbundled services in your area

PS - the speed of 1000mb/s before it went wrong was enough to complain about already
spazandspud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

argh... just typed out a response for the darn thing to cut me off again!
anyhow.. ran the sam knows thing.. it says we should get up to 1Meg although about 6mth ago we were probably getting about 1.3 - 1.5.

Have tried it using the test socket.. still no different.. my net speed is at the moment 344kbps with upload of 519 kbps.. the upload is about the norm.

I noticed on my router that there are some stats at the bottom
Downstream Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps) 448 736
Noise Margin 0.1 12.0
Output power 0.0 12.6
Attenuation 53.0 29.1

Ive no idea what this means! but thgouth it might be of use to someone here Smile any advice would be great.. thanks!

Also.. when Pipex say "nois eon the line" should i hear it when im on the phone??? or does it just mean like outside interference... just i dont have any crackles or anything when on phone. thanks! Smile
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it means electronic noise or interference on the line - you may not be able to hear it.
If the SamKnows tool says you're only likely to get a 1mb/s service you must be living somewhere pretty remote from the exchange. Did the check list any unbundled services? I suspect not. If thats the case you're best off with getting the broadband from BT - one less factor in the equation when the arguments start about line quality: BT and the ISP won't be able to pass the buck to each other
Which exchange are you on and how far are you from it?
spazandspud

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with scarborough exchange.. and im 1.43km from the exchange... though ive been getting faster speeds that what that website says for the past few years lol.. so how accurate it is i dont know.

still no joy on the net.. its still amazingly slowwww.. so going to try calling BT and seeing how we go about swapping.. when we mentioned a mac code to Pipex last weekend they said we would be without service for 12 days Sad now for internet thats liveable.. but i got 4 kids and need my home phone! is that really what happens?? i been with them so long i dont know any different (was with them before they were pipex!)
JonS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no - they're talking garbage
with a MAC code the change is normally same-day
It only takes longer if you cancel one contract and then start another WITHOUT a MAC code. The whole point of the code is to make the transfer as easy as possible. You get the code number, hand that to the new company and they do the rest
However watch out for any unexpired period of contract - if you've still got (for instance) six months of a contract to run they'l try to force you to pay that so make sure you're asking for the code because they're in breach of contract over their service obligations.

As to your exchange, I see Sky have unbundled services in Scarborough - could be worth asking them what deal (and speed) they can do
Orange HAD also unbundled it, but they've flogged all their network kit back to BT and are now simply leasing services from BT again, so theres not much to be gained from using them

But overall, considering you are only a short distance from the exchange, the exchange is enabled for ADSL Max AND for the 21CN "digital" network, you should be getting a better service than you are.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the issue here is not the moving of the ADSL connection, but the moving of the line from Pipex to BT. I'm not sure of exactly how this is done, but it may result in downtime. Best to speak to BT and ask exactly what the process is to move line and ADSL from Pipex to BT.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
spazandspud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to update.. my speeds are still incredibly slow.. now at 0.2 and 0.15... its horrible!!!
I have spoken to BT about moving but they have said we need a deposit of 100 so due to Easte hols.. this will have to wait!...
As for Pipex.. they have been about as much use as a chocolate fireguard! After yet more phone calls apparently i DO NOT have noise on my line... they said it is probably a problem with the exchange... and you will laugh at the advice i got... i was told "please madam, go down to your BT exchange and tell them to investigate" !!!! I mean what?!?!?! I am absolutely amazed at how incompetent they are... ive spoken to Ofcom now and they have told me in no uncertain terms that it is up to Pipex to investigate and sort.. not for me to go trailing to the local exchange with pleading eyes!
I am sooo angry now.. this has been going on for over a week... i got kids moaning.. nobody can use the net for anything other than very basic websites.. its mad!
Also weird how this happens the day after we turned down Talk Talk for their new super fast broadband that would only cost us upfront 75 lmao...
Ive now replaced filter, replaced wiring, tried using the test socket... defragged, antivirused, cleaned registry, cleaned hard drive... even change my password for the modem just in case... so im at a loss as what else i can do now from this end!
ok vent over... fingers crossed for me! Twisted Evil
spazandspud

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.. sorry to double post but softstag... i spoke to BT yesterday when we were looking to swap to them.. and they say no down time needed and that Pipex were just using scare tactics.. apparently BT could swap us now without even getting a MAC code! lol wish i could magic up a spare 100 !!! LOL... time to get delving down the back of the sofa i think
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of treatment is not acceptable. I would log a complaint with Ofcom. Also inform Pipex that you are doing this. Ofcom are the regulators of the industry.

Aside from this, you have done everything your side, it sounds like it is simply a problem that Pipex need to resolve.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: