Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Connection
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Internet Connection Reply with quote

Hello there, me again, I have still got connection problems.
I have a netgear wireless modem which i use for my PS3, i have a ethernet connection to my desktop computer. i run with Virgin Media.
I can stay online for a short amount of time, but then my connection is lost however i am told i am still connected.

This has baffled me for weeks. The two computers in my tray (botton right of my screen) are not lit up, however one is lit when i am connected and the internet is working.

I dont use a firewall and have no security, so i dont have a clue what it could be.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the same problem if you connect the modem directly to the computer?

Also, what happens to the lights on the cable modem when this happens?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Same problem happens when connected directly to the modem

the lights on the modem go off, but flash every so often. I think its something to do with the router settings and gateway settings but i havt got a clue.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the same thing happens when you are directly connecting the PC to the modem, then there is either a fault with the modem, or the internet connection. If all the lights go off on the modem, then you need to speak to Virgin Media to get the connection and/or modem looked at.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: I am still connected to the PS3 Reply with quote

When the connection is lost with the computer i can still access the internet on the PS3 and play games online ia the PS3, however the connection on the PC is gone, it says it is still connected but it is not
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK....

Follow these instructions to get me the ipconfig details and post the results.

Last edited by SoftStag on Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Can't do that Reply with quote

when i do this, (after i ran 'cmd') i get an error message sayin an installed virtual device driver failed DLL initalization.

i dont know what this is,

does your website sell laptops in finance? i think i need a new computer haha
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good. What is the exact error message?

You could try typing command instead of cmd...
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: the error says Reply with quote

C:WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:PROGRA~1\Symnatec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Managed to get the IPCONFIG Reply with quote

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Terry-sq5tujzjzg

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Compatable Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-CA-60-B6-4B

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 27 September 2007 20:04:01

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 28 September 2007 16:23:36
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks fine with the network setup on the PC side. If the PS3 is connecting fine, then I can only assume that the router is setup correctly and the modem is fine.

Try a different ethernet cable, this may be the problem, if not, then are you able to ping the router (192.168.0.1) - same procedure as I asked you to do in this thread.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: the error says Reply with quote

terryw wrote:
C:WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:PROGRA~1\Symnatec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application

Try this to resolve the problem:
http://www.serverboss.com/16-bitMS-DOSsubsystem.htm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: