Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Internet Gateway Problems

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Internet Gateway Problems Reply with quote

I had the internet connected str8 to my PC, but then i purchased a wireless router for my Playstation. But since i have installed this i can only get on the internet on the PC for about 5 minutes. the Playstation has a connection and works. My PC says it has a working connection but does not work, please help

all lightws on my modem are lit, but the LAN1 (my PC connection) is constant but should be flashing. Also when I try and acces web pages the browser says "done" but a white/blank screen appears.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give me a little more info about the setup? What router are you using? Are you connecting via ethernet or wireless from the PC? What OS (Version of Windows) are you using on your PC?
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

i am using windows XP, i am connected to the modem via ethernet cable and the wireless modem i am connected to to azurewave gw520

thanx for ur help Very Happy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not a modem/router I am familiar with. However, the first thing we need to do is establish whether the PC and Router can communicate when the connection is not working.

Firstly, get it so your internet is working, then go to a command prompt and type:
Code:
ping 192.168.0.1

This should come back with some responses. If it times out then we will have to take a different route.

Assuming you get responses from the ping, try again after the connection has dropped. Does it time out now? If so then try a different ethernet cable, and see if this makes any difference.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: i will try that Reply with quote

i will take that on board and try that, wen i manage to get the internet to stay on haha

thanks for your time mate

and i will get back to you when i manage to do this

once again tar Smile
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get it to stay on, try with it not working and let us know.

Incidentally, which ISP are you with?
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

wats IPS
terryw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ISP av just realised hah

virgin media
terryw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: av tried that Reply with quote

i tried changing ethernet cables, the same thing happens, so 2day am goin to take all the cables out and hoover inside the computer

then i will get bak to u

thanx
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'm not sure that will make any difference, however if it makes you feel better.... Very Happy

What happened when you tried the ping command?

If you connect the modem directly to the PC without the router does it work fine then?
terryw

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Fixed Reply with quote

Hey there thanks for all your help, the problem was the model, ha

AzureWave modem was total crap, i purchased a NetGear one and it seems to be wokring fine-Fingers crosses for the future ha

Once again thanks for all your help

Very Happy
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I'd never heard of Azurewave before. The problems were starting to point to a faulty router.

Netgear is a good choice.

{Topic Locked}
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: