Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

internet security
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: internet security Reply with quote

I've noticed that when logging onto a web email account, only the log on page has the padlock sign at the right hand corner of the browser, does that mean other pages that are displayed after logging on are not encrypted?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, only pages where the padlock sign are shown are encrypted. In most cases this shouldn't really be an issue, unless you sign in using a non-secure internet connection. I don't know what webmail you use, but there should be an option to use HTTPS, thereby making all pages secure. This will have a consequence of slowing down the page loads as HTTPS is slower to load that HTTP due to the encryption/decryption that is taking place. In Gmail you can do this by going to Settings then setting Browser Connections to Always use https then saving your changes.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about Yahoo mail?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo mail doesn't appear to support this feature. The login is secure, but once logged in the pages are not encrypted.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using an open wireless internet connection most of the time, is webmail as vulnerable as POP3 email to being sniffed by programs such as Wireshark?
Thanks.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it makes much difference really. Either way this is not likely to be a big risk. If it does concern you, then I suppose you could set up a Gmail account, which you can configure to download your Yahoo mail from via POP3 to it, and access the mail via Gmail using https. Gmail also has the facility to send mails as though they are from another account, so you could still effectively send and send and receive emails using Yahoo through Gmail securely.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems like a solution. Thanks.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, can the program wireshark be used to obtain my username/passwords and other unencrypted data sent through an open wireless internet connection?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avextraxjp wrote:
By the way, can the program wireshark be used to obtain my username/passwords and other unencrypted data sent through an open wireless internet connection?

In theory, yes. In practice, this is quite difficult as they would need to find the packet of information where you send the username/password, out of all the packets of information you send as you browse the web or use the network.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't WireShark sort of display the packet of information, and specific information can be identified with just a search?
SoftStag

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Wireshark, but I understand you can search captured information. Even so, if there are many people using a network, they would need to know your IP address and the format in which the particular website you are using accepts passwords. It's not easy, someone would need to be skilled and determined.
avextraxjp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed openVPn. the icon sits at the taskbar and I've configured nothing, how can I tell it it's working ?
Thanks.
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: