Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Irritating problem with RAM and computer auto shutdown

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
sijie123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Irritating problem with RAM and computer auto shutdown Reply with quote

Hi, its me again. (My computer is very problematic)
After i cleaned out the virus, my computer seemed to be seriously wrecked by the virus. I am now having sudden shutdowns (without the Windows is shutting down notice) or even blue screen errors showing hardware malfunction. I ran a thorough hardware scan using Dell hardware scanner (it was on my computer when i bought it, and it runs from boot). However, i get nothing although i seriously know that something is wrong with my computer. I suspect it is the RAM problem, the fan problem or even hard disk problems. However, i am restricted not to change any of my computer parts and i do not have spares (i am a bit tight on my hand...). Can you please help me on solving the problem? Many thanks in advance.

P.S. I am running Windows XP SP3 on Dell Inspiron 640m, having a 1GB DDR2 RAM and a 80GB SATA HDD and this computer is 3 years old. (I know it is quite antique...)
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a hard drive problem, if it were you would get errors. RAM is possible, but again you would usually see a blue screen at least. If your laptop has 2 512Mb sticks of RAM in it, you could try running it with just 1 (try both alone) to see if one of the sticks is causing a problem. Overheating is more likely a culprit, do you hear the fan turning fast a lot of the time, especially before it powers off? If so, then turn the PC off, get a can of compressed air and blow it in to the vents on the PC - be aware that you will probably get a cloud of dust.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
sijie123

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
i think it might be my fan that is causing the problem. Now, as i place a cooling pad below the computer, it has been working nice for about 1.5 hours. Think it might be because of the fan. I am using a laptop, so can i just buy a fan and replace it?
surreypcsupport.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Open up the case and clean all the dust you can see. Don't touch anything though.

If the cooler has a cover raise it and remove all the dust from between the cooler fins. Air is meant to circulate around those fins and it cannot if they are full of dust.
sijie123

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Irritating problem with RAM and computer auto shutdown Reply with quote

sijie123 wrote:
I am running Windows XP SP3 on Dell Inspiron 640m

Can you teach me how to open the case too? Having trouble removing it and the manual does not teach me anything about the fan.
SoftStag

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the exact model you have, but most PCs have 2 screws at the side opposite the side with the connectors on at the back. Remove these 2 screws and slide the side panel back and off.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
demdike

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a laptop - not a tower unit so disassembly is going t be alot tougher than that.
each laptop model is different, so without a manual - or experience - you stand more chance of causing damage than solving the problem

Reallu is time to get someone to look at it who has the correct tools / thermal paste and access to a replacement fan

Its almost certainly overheating
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: