Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just a question about private browsing!

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
korina.young

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Just a question about private browsing! Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been told by a friend that anyone who uses the same internet router as me (so knows the net key etc) can call up our internet provider and request a print out of all the websites visited at what date and time etc, among other information.

Is this true?! Or is it true in any part?

Please answer I'm going out of my mind!
JonS

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert on the law, but I would have thought data protection laws should prevent this. The ISP has a contract with the account holder only and should only be able to divulge such details to the account holder - unless required to divulge them to legal authorities by a court order

If its your broadband connection I don't think theres an issue. If its someone elses, then the account holder may be able to request this, but thats assuming the ISP is logging it and can be bothered to comply.

A bigger risk to privacy is someone exploring the browser history on your computer
korina.young

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your reply Reply with quote

We share everything, internet router and laptop, so would they be able to get a complete list of everything ..even in private browsing? And does private browsing history show up anywhere on the computer?
JonS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"private browsing" means just that - the history, cache and cookies are wiped after each session. However I'd never trust it totally
Which internet browser do you use? Its possible to lock down most browsers, often with third party software

There is a simple answer though
Stop your "friend" from using it. If you're that worried, then he/she is no "friend"
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: