Free PC Support
PC Help Forums from the Experts at Technical-Assistance.co.uk

Google

Search The Web Search This Site
 RSS FeedRSS Feed   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just want to get it right! USB driver WIN98FE

Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom
Oscar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Just want to get it right! USB driver WIN98FE Reply with quote

Hi Softag.
(from previous private message).
I read the instructions on your pages:
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php
and specifically for my case WIN98FE:
http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98fe-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php
In the latter page it specifies that I:

"Download and install the Windows 98 Service Pack (35.5Mb)
Download to your desktop the driver file from the Download section
below
Remove ALL drivers for USB flash drives in Device Manager
Remove ALL drivers for any USB 2.0 controllers (many have an uninstall
option)
Remove ALL unknown devices from Device Manager
Run the exe file you downloaded, and follow the instructions, rebooting
after installation
When the computer boots up again, it may detect new USB 2.0
controllers, in which case you may need to reboot again"

OK my question is when I go into My Computers Properties, then go to
Device manager I DO NOT find any USB drivers for flash cards, etc. Just USB connections and USB root hub.
I DON'T see any drivers for USB flash or memory cards there. What should I do from here, since in your page it doesn't explain in detail how you go about REMOVING these USB flash drivers?
Do I just SKIP this step altogether or is there another way
to FIND these hidden drivers (if there are any) in my system

Just want to get it right!
Patiently awaing your reply.
Oscar
Oscar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Just want to get it right! USB driver WIN98FE Reply with quote

Well I just could not wait. So I installed the Windows 98 Service Pack anyway.

1. During installation of the SP I only checked Basic update and Windows media. I left unchecked the other features such as Adapci... and other features. To start with should I have checked everything?

2. When I had finshed installing the SP I checked to see if any new features were in the Devices Mgr. none that I could see (this was before and after rebooting). I also noted that in My Computer Properties under General the identifiers changed from 1998 to 2222.

3. Since I did not see anything unusual I proceeded to install the NUSbXX driver. Everything OK! I also noted that a new USB related folder was created in my desktop.

4. I rebooted and proceeded to install my my USB2.0 root hub to enable simultaneous use of mouse and USB storage device (since I only have a single USB slot). The sistem loaded a generic root hub driver.

5. I connected the USB storage device on my root hub (as well directly into my USB slot) and noticed that a green sytray symbol appeared indicating its presence (after the appropriated drivers were installed by system). Also its presence was shown in My computer by "removable drive F".

6. The only problem was when I was going to remove it. I would click the systray symbol to STOP the storage device. The symbgol would dissapear and would say that it was safe to remove the device. But the device's light would still be ON. So I would turn off the system to remove the device. I recall that with XP and other systems the devices light would go off and I could remove them safely.

Is this normal and I could proceed to remove the drive (even though its light is on) or where could I have gone wrong?
Thanks.
Oscar
SoftStag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be safe to remove the device with the light on, if the PC has said it is safe to do so.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Oscar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Light still on! Reply with quote

One question, do all the USB storage devices working in WIN98 format behave this way?
I don't know but for me it seems that they should turn off like my network adapter.
I reinstalled the WIN SP2 and the nusb320 driver all over again. But the same result when I click "to eject or stop device". The device's lamp remains on.
Is there some likelihood that I have omitted some step in my installation? I know for sure that the original WIN 98FE DID have some drivers for flash memory cards and for camera use. Although none were installed. The reason I know was once ago I tried installing these USB storage devices (when I didn't know any better) and a listing came out specifying the types of hardware the intended driver was intended for.
I know it doesn't seem much, but I'm sticking with turning off the computer before I remove the device, unless you hopefully provide me with a solution for this.
Truly
SoftStag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not all devices behave in this way, in fact not all devices have a light. The stop/eject function only really ensures that all open files are closed. So whether the light is on or off is irrelevant as it is safe to unplug a device that is "on", however if files are open then you may lose data.

Windows 98FE and 98SE did not have any generic support for any types of mass storage device. This had to be provided by the device manufacturers in order for the device to work. These were often tailored for the specific device and would only work with that device.
"Microsoft programs are generally bug-free. If you visit the Microsoft hotline, you'll literally have to wait weeks if not months until someone calls in with a bug in one of our programs. 99.99% of calls turn out to be user mistakes. I know not a single less irrelevant reason for an update than bugfixes. The reasons for updates are to present more new features."
-- Bill Gates, on code stability, from Focus Magazine
Oscar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Light still on! Reply with quote

So in other words I did everything right. In that case I have nothing else to say but thank you. I guess I'm better off now than before. But for my peace of mind I'll just switch it off before I remove my device.
We'll see you,
Truly:
Reply to topic    Free PC Support Forum Home -> Helproom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: